Moan alert: lack of boys' uniforms in Sainsbury's

Ole

I have an 8 year old boy. Over the years I've noticed that the amount of boys clothes for ages 5+ at east dulwich sainsbury's has shrunk. I've asked the shop floor staff about it, I've asked to speak with store manager (always in a meeting or not in yet....), and I've filled in feedback forms etc. Nothing has changed - baby boys and small boys are decently catered for, but boys over 5 years old have a very limited range. I've learnt not to shop there for boys clothes and that's that.

However.....when it comes to school uniforms....

This morning I went in hoping that at least they would have boys uniform trousers. The photo attached shows the proportion of items labelled boys (blue), girls (pink) and unisex (green). It's always been balanced towards more labelled girls uniforms but today was a bit ridiculous.(and yes I've followed the stereotypical labelling in my photo to make the point.

Only two rails of boys trousers.

I think to myself 'Does it matter if the trousers are labelled for girls if they are plain? Could he still wear them?' On closer inspection all the girls trousers have either heart shaped buttons, or a bow or a butterfly, and knowing my son he wouldn't choose to wear them.

So girls get three racks of differentiated trousers to choose from, on top of three racks for skirts and one for dresses, and boys have just two racks (one for shorts and one for long trousers).

Could they not either stock gender neutral trousers, or stock more boys' trousers??

Am I the only one who finds this unbalance exasperating? Boys also need to wear uniforms!

I'll be writing to head office and get onto the social media.

Rant over...thanks for listening!

Agree it's annoying - to avoid the problem you can order online where there's a bigger selection and arrange for free delivery to the store - or take your business elsewhere - I think M&S uniform is much better, although it is more expensive. Another alternative is to buy secondhand - most school PTAs arrange uniform sales

I hope they respond. In general it always feels like more clothes in general for girls than boys there. Your picture really illustrates this! I'm sure one response will be that girls can wear skirts, trousers or dresses and boys just trousers (and shorts in summer) but your pic shows much more imbalance!

Sainsburys is awful for boys clothes and the uniform is too unreliable. Marks and Spencer on the other hand is amazing for uniform. They have different fits of uniform (great for my tall skinny kids whereas Sainsbury's often way too wide for them) and you can click and collect it to Lordship Lane. The quality is really good too, way better than the John Lewis trousers I got the year before which bobbled straight away.