Booking holidays in term time OPINIONS - what do you do?

Hi my son will be starting school in September in reception but I wanted to seek out some opinion on booking holidays in term time, what are local Southwark East Dulwich schools view on this? Is it something that isn?t ideal but accept that an odd holiday is ok? Or is it really frowned upon?

As my son is only in reception I figured we might have another year before it gets more serious - and we would probably stick to school holidays.

Really wondering what other parents did and how accepted it is?

I think before they are 5 it doesn't really matter. Though I don't have any direct experience. Otherwise you should try your best to go during school holidays, weddings, big birthdays etc. Being possible reasons for exception...

I think Southwark and most schools are much tougher now than before. The guidance changed to only authorising absence in 'exceptional circumstances' (in about 2013?) and Southwark also decided fairly recently to implement the penalty notice regime (not sure exactly when but they did not adopt it immediately). In practice because schools have to record absences it's easier for them just to say no to pretty much every request, and then record any absence as unauthorised - then it becomes largely the local authority's problem.

These days I think it's safest to assume that any request for absence for a holiday will be refused and there's a risk you'll get a penalty notice - I have no idea how efficient and how tough Southwark are in reality, but the policy is here and is pretty blunt:

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/schools-and-education/information-for-parents/behaviour-attendance-and-truancy/penalty-notices-for-irregular-attendance-and-term-time-leave

I've never done it but my feeling is that teachers really hate it because while you have been off having a lovely holiday, they then have to work hard to catch your child up upon their return. Not sure how this would affect such a young age group though. Personally I would have a quiet word with the school.

I was a teacher for over 40 years and don?t think term time holidays are acceptable. However young a child is they will miss out n a lot of learning. How would parents feel if their child?s school sent a letter home saying that the teacher will not be in for the next couple of weeks as he/she has decided to book a cheap holiday in term time?

It's really frowned upon. We did it once as SIL decided to get married on a Friday. We asked for authorisation, which was granted but I wonder if it still would be today (it was four years ago and my daughter was at reception).

I think before your child is 5 they are not legally required to be at school so they can't fine you.

Lots of people at our school have done it, mainly because they have immediate family living in far-flung places, and sometimes the best times of year to visit are Easter and Christmas when we get only 2 weeks' holidays.

We took my kids out last Easter for exactly this reason, it was also my sister's wedding, but the leave wasn't approved. I did offer take work with us but heard nothing. Mine are primary age so I know it's more problematic when they enter secondary school. I think our school has now starting referring unapproved absences to the LA and they then fine each parent for the absence.

It's something you have to discuss with your school, but until the term after your child has turned 5, they don't have to be in school at all. So there's no legal issue with taking a child that is not of statutory school age on holiday in term time.

Renata Hamvas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This is usually not a problem if your child hasn't

> yet turned 5. Until a few years ago, start of

> reception varied a lot depending on the local

> authority. In some authorities there were three

> dates of entry, the summer born children started

> after the Easter break.

> Renata

But this doesn't apply now e.g. three dates of entry.

If a parent is lucky enough to secure a reception place for their child in a Southwark school that's great and they shouldn't flout the rules.

hammerman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Renata Hamvas Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > This is usually not a problem if your child

> hasn't

> > yet turned 5. Until a few years ago, start of

> > reception varied a lot depending on the local

> > authority. In some authorities there were three

> > dates of entry, the summer born children

> started

> > after the Easter break.

> > Renata

>

> But this doesn't apply now e.g. three dates of

> entry.

>

> If a parent is lucky enough to secure a reception

> place for their child in a Southwark school that's

> great and they shouldn't flout the rules.

But the rules are your child doesn't officially have to be in school until the term after they turn five, so no legal repercussions of taking a term time holiday in reception before then.