optimum washing machine

hello, has anyone here recently bought a new washing machine, or could recommend one? I now have my granddaughter occasionally, so need a machine which can efficiently cope with small loads, with a 30 min wash, a variable temperature option, variable spin speed, and is quiet?

I have done my research, on Which, and the JL site and others, but thought I would ask for genuine users comments and hope no one minds.

Thank you !

I think that most new machines should be able to cope with those requirements.

We have a Bosch and they have a ridiculous filter thing whereby if anything gets stuck in it it seems to make the filter impossible to turn - so wouldn't recommend it with kids. When we replace it we'll go for something with a more sensible filter.

I never found our combi washer/dryer very useable, the drying function wasn't very good and was energy inefficient; it also tied up the machine for hours. As soon as we had the space we switched to stacked separates. We bought the entry-ish level Miele machines and find them really excellent after a year and a bit of use.

alex_b Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I never found our combi washer/dryer very useable,

> the drying function wasn't very good and was

> energy inefficient; it also tied up the machine

> for hours. As soon as we had the space we switched

> to stacked separates. We bought the entry-ish

> level Miele machines and find them really

> excellent after a year and a bit of use.

Thank you Alex, - for your time posting with helpful remarks. The machine I favour is a Miele, good reviews on the JL website, and yes, entry level.

Although there are lots of brands, there are comparatively few manufacturers. For example, Electrolux, AEG and Zanussi are the same group, as are Indesit, Hotpoint and Whirlpool, and Bosch and Siemens. That doesn't mean they're all the same, but differences blurred a bit.

My experience is better to get a cheap model of a solid manufacturer than top end model of a budget range (goes for most engineering based products). Miele generally bombproof, AEG very good, Zanussi the best of the cheaper ones.

My Miele has been tried and tested over the last eight years and is still going strong with never any problems. I have a house full of sporty boys and it is not unusual for me to do four washes daily (sports gear, bedding). Worth every single penny of it's initial outlay.