Does your 13yrs+ child work?

Hi,

Just wondering if your child worked part-time and if so, what job do they have?

When I was young there was lots of low/entry level jobs, e.g. supermarket, retail, paper round etc. but with self-checkouts taking over everywhere I was wondering what do young people do now?

Interesting question. My 13yr old would love to do some part-time work too but even charity shops won't let them until they're about 16 :( Real shame as they are keen and it's something that seems good to encourage. I was babysitting at 12 but I think 14 is more the beginning age for that now...Interesing to see if anyone has any ideas...but think law/insurance etc is putting people off employing this age...

I started my first job aged 14 years old at McDonald's. Earning my own money was the best feeling in the world.

Such a shame if young people have the desire to work but the opportunities are not there. Seems more and more jobs now and in the future are for the academically able.

My 13 year old son walks my friend's dog when she is working late or wants to go out straight after work. It has been good for him as he has had to take responsibility for going to her house, unlocking the doors, getting the dog on a lead, then round Goose Green Park, pick up the poo & dispose of it properly and then back to hers to wash his hands, feed the dog and lock up! He gets bit of money for this which he saves along with any birthday money to buy whatever he wants so he is learning the value of money The dog is a lovely, well-behaved greyhound so that's fine. I wouldn't want him to walk dogs of people we don't know so well at his age as it is alot of responsibility I think but maybe when he is older he could do this. My friend's daughter who was 14 took a primary school age child to her primary school as it was on route to her secondary school for abit of cash.

I suggested to my neighbour (he is nearly 13) to offer a bike puncture fixing service. He is very capable. when I get a flat tire I literally can't find the time to sort it, I'd love this service to be available where local kids can fix a flat tyre much quicker than I can, rather than pay the hefty prices charged in bike shops. My nephew says he is starting a T-shirt business. It seems self employment is the way to go, it's ncredible how entrepreneurial these kids can be.