How do you manage cleaning of the family home?

Monkey

After a local, and supposedly ethical, cleaning company charged me ????? and left my house in a complete freaking state (blinds having to be reinstalled, broken iron, chipped granite worktop as well as a dirty house), i?m left wondering what to do next.

Do you do your own cleaning or use a cleaning agency/lady (or man)? If so, how do you manage them?

Or if you do it yourself, what?s your routine? Do you have any tips to keep on top of things? An app perhaps prompting you to do stuff throughout the week?

Thanks!

I do it myself - little bits at a time each day, and then an occasional blitz. I used to have a cleaner but don't any more for money reasons, and also because I find that after a while they stop being so thorough. You might find this blog/website useful - ignore the mummy stuff - her advice is really useful for anyone https://www.theorganisedmum.blog/

The Organised Mum Method also has a Facebook group.

You can download (free) a load of cleaning plans etc..

Some of the Facebook members do seem to be a bit obsessive with cleanliness though (some of them seem to disinfect everything in sight, and wash towels and bedding every day ?!?!?!?!?! I don't know how they ever find time to do anything else!)

ETA: Monkey, it might be doing other people on here a favour if you let us know who the cleaning people who trashed your house were. That sounds really appalling.

I like the Organised Mum Method. Thank you! I?m about to brief the hubby (and our daughter) on it.

I should soon be working from home two days a week so the time I used to spend commuting over these two days (four hours) and at lunchtime (two hours) should surely give me six hours to clean. Here?s hoping!

Monkey Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> After a local, and supposedly ethical, cleaning

> company charged me ????? and left my house in a

> complete freaking state (blinds having to be

> reinstalled, broken iron, chipped granite worktop

> as well as a dirty house), i?m left wondering what

> to do next.

>

> Do you do your own cleaning or use a cleaning

> agency/lady (or man)? If so, how do you manage

> them?

>

> Or if you do it yourself, what?s your routine? Do

> you have any tips to keep on top of things? An app

> perhaps prompting you to do stuff throughout the

> week?

>

> Thanks!

Oh dear! Is this for real?

I clean myself. And I get everyone on board. My theory is that if everyone experiences what goes into keeping a house clean, then everyone will understand their own impact on how dirty it gets.

So, sometimes I'll ask my daughter if she can tidy up the bathroom - she'll usually clean the walls and mirrors etc as well as sorting out all the toiletries etc.

I don't actually like cleaning but I don't like it dirty more.

I've worked out it only takes five to ten minutes to wash up, so it's not as daunting as I think.

Everything has a place and most of it is where it should be most of the time. I believe in storage and no clutter. If it's not, then I'll sort it out.

I've sorted out the girls rooms so they are beautiful spaces which they like to keep nice.

Don't do it all yourself - that's impossible - because then other people in the house will be as messy as they like with no consequence.

It's usually tidy because we keep on top of it - but also don't stress if it's messy - we live in our house - it's not a showroom.

God knows where the cups and forks are though (they always disappear)

We have a Robot Hoover (a Neato to be specific) like this one: https://amzn.to/2DZGSzA

Yes it is a large initial expense but we?ve had it for 3 yrs so far and it?s invaluable. Everynight when we go up to bed it turns itself on, hoovers all downstairs and then returns to its base to charge. It?s amazing what a daily hoover of your house does to keep it feeling clean and neat. It also encourages you to pick up a bit at night. We only do a proper hoover about once a month. You can get ones that mop aswell if you are so inclined.

my house was also left in a complete state after an eco style cleaning company that used to advertise on here.

absolutely disgusted with how they left my home and it was supposed to be a special treat to myself. i did complain on here and also on google.

i cant remember the name of them but they no longer advertise on here

have tried to get cleaners but they are either rubbish or unreliable or both!!!

i now bribe or pay my kids (i turn the wifi off if jobs i have asked to be done are not)

I do the vast majority of cleaning in our house but due to arthritis and associated mobility problems find it difficult to clean/wash skirting boards etc. I would love a cleaner to do this on a fortnightly basis (the house is large Victorian building with loads of wood) but not clear as to whether a cleaner would be prepared to do this.

Three quotes sum up my approach to the cleaning of chez Scruffy:

'My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance' ?Erma Bombeck

'At worst, a house unkept cannot be so distressing as a life unlived' ?Rose Macaulay

'I hate housework. You make the beds, you wash the dishes and six months later you have to start all over again' ?Joan Rivers