Mole removal recommendation?

redjam

So I've got a mole I'd like removed. I've had moles removed in the past, both privately - back when I had private health insurance - and in a GP's surgery when they just whipped one off there and then. But now I've changed surgeries and my new GP just shrugged and gave me the name of a private hospital when I said I wanted it removed. (She's assured me it's benign.) I don't mind paying but when I phoned the hospital they said it would be ?300 just for the consultation, never mind the actual surgery and histiology (which seems to be compulsory). So I can't imagine I'd be getting away for much under a grand, which is way out of my budget.

So my question is, has anyone had experience of having a mole removed in a non-hospital environment? I notice that the Pro Beauty Clinic on Hindmans Road advertises mole removal and its prices are clearly much cheaper (a consultation there is a tenner!). But I'm wary of putting myself in the hands of a non-doctor to administer local anaesthetic and perform a surgery, albeit minor. And I don't really know what questions I should be asking about what experience/qualifications they have.

Anyone have any experience or advice?

I have been to Pro Beauty Clinic regarding a mole I wanted removed. (I was happy to pay for this) In my case they needed a letter from your GP saying that they can remove it. When I went to my GP, she referred me back to Dermatology at Kings (as she needed to be 100% sure it was benign). However, I would definately go to the Clinic on Hindmans road, the person who deos the mole removal is lovely.

Thank you Hazelnunhead, that's good to know - though it doesn't really reassure me on the medical knowledge front. Does anyone with a medical background out there know what the deal is re. beauticians carrying out minor surgeries? Is there some kind of qualification I should be asking to see to make sure that they're properly trained to carry out that kind of procedure?

• 2 months later...
Just in case anyone is interested, I did end up going to Pro Beauty Clinic on Hindmans in the end to have the mole removed (after getting a GP's letter, which they insisted on). No actual surgery involved in the end - they use advanced electrolysis, so it's just zapped away rather than cut away and stitched up. The lady there was lovely and I was so pleased with the result that I've just gone back to get a couple of skin tags removed. Prices are very reasonable, starting at ?50 for 5 mins, which is enough to do one or two skin tags, and the end result looks great. V happy to recommend.