Kingsdale vs. Charter ED

Bumpkin

I know this one's been done before, but my son's just been offered a full music scholarship to Kingsdale (yes I know that doesn't guarantee a place, but he at least stands a fighting chance of getting in if I put it as first choice). He really likes Kingsdale and wants to go there, but he's 10, he's not got a full view of things and his reasons are not necessarily the most robust.

We're in the very fortunate position of also living close enough to guarantee a place at Charter ED and I'm totally torn over which would be better for him. I love the fact that at Kingsdale he would have a large number of other music students to hang out with and maybe be in bands with later on, but I'm very concerned about the looming budget cuts which seem to be greater per student at Kingsdale, the massive recent increase in intake and how it will impact the school as my son's quite quiet and could easily get a bit lost.

I've seen loads of previous responses from Charter ED parents being positive about the school, but not many Kingsdale parents (maybe not so many Kingsdale kids from ED?). Are there any parents happy to give a view here or via pm?! Thanks

Hmmm well in terms of the music scholarship, we had friends who were offered full scholarships last year and ended up in the 100s on the 'scholarship list' - there are only 60 scholarship places (split between music and sport)... If you're near guaranteed a place at CED, you Co ld chance your arm at Kingsdale and put CED next. X

We were in this tricky but privileged position with both our kids and ended up sending one to Kingsdale and one to Charter ED. Ultimately I think they?re both very good schools but very different so you have to see which one suits your child?s personality more. If this helps these are my thoughts:

Teaching: Overall both seem very good with some excellent teachers in each (and some not-so-excellent, of course). CED is more consistent from what I?ve seen so far (my youngest has only just started). Kingsdale switches round teaching groups for everything and seems to set for ability in all key subjects, which I quite like, but some won?t. With CED you have the same teaching group for everything (mixed ability) so it?s more like primary school in that respect. My jury is out on that ? I think it?s fine if you?ve got a nice teaching group but you?re very stuck if you end up with one very disruptive kid or a friendship issue as there?s no getting away from them. They do a dissertation-style ?knowledge project? later in Year 7 in CED, which sounds great.

Sport: Think Kingsdale edges this, as they have the scholarships and all that green open space. They?re opening a new multimillion-pound gym block, yoga space and dance centre after Christmas too. Obviously CED will have a brand-new sports centre when they?ve moved but there?s no getting away from the fact there?s not much open space on the site.

Music: Kingsdale is excellent for this ? my oldest has a scholarship and she has free private lessons, plus ensemble groups, theory lessons, opportunities to hang out in the music block at lunch etc. There are heaps of talented singers, dancers and musicians at the school ? it?s very Kids from Fame. I?m sure CED is good too (my youngest isn?t as musical so hard to compare) but I think Kingsdale has the greater opportunities from its sheer size.

Extracurricular: Again Kingsdale edges this from size alone, as there are dozens of clubs from horseriding to musical theatre to debate club to Ancient Greek. My daughter also has a maths scholarship at Kingsdale which is really brilliant. Loads of trips, too. We were a bit disappointed with CED as my daughter put down to do two ?enrichment? activities but only got into one and didn?t get offered a second choice ? though I?m sure this will improve as the school grows and they move to their new premises.

Leadership: CED wins this for me hands down ? from what I?ve seen of their leadership team, they seem highly impressive: professional, focused, driven. I think the Kingsdale leadership team does good work behind the scenes but unfortunately the parental impression is one of endless sales pitches about how marvellous Kingsdale is (OMG, those awful, never-ending speeches at open days!) which make me want to shoot myself. There?s also very little in the way of parental community interaction with Kingsdale, whereas CED has a strong Friends society and seems much more outward-facing.

Sorry, I?ve written an essay! Overall I do think it?s horses for courses ? Kingsdale is MASSIVE and I do think quieter/more quirky kids might get a bit lost there. It?s so huge your child will definitely find their own tribe, but might be harder at first if they?re shy. It?s good for kids who will seek out and make use of all it has to offer; less so for those who need prodding. CED is more nurturing, more of a natural extension of primary school, more community-focused. I think it?s better suited for kids who like familiarity and a less overwhelming environment. And I do have absolute faith in that CED leadership team so I believe the opportunities available there will continue to grow and improve once it moves premises and fills out.

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice!

I have two children at Kingsdale and both are very happy there. My son is quiet and a boy whose friends are all girls. he has thrived at Kingsdale and I think there is a positive in having a school that is big enough to get lost in - or to be able to keep yourself separate from those who see the world differently to you. My daughter has ADHD, anxiety and cerebal palsy and I was more concerned about the school for her, but she is doing fine and her heads of year have been amazing and extremely supportive.

I have no experience of CED, as the school was not an option for us but we did turn down a place at Charter North, as we had heard of friendship issues and students forming cliques. No idea if this is still the case and it probably does not apply to the other school.

• 3 weeks later...
And did your friend's children with full scholarships get places in the end? We have just been offered a full scholarship (letter lost in post I assume) and am trying to understand if all those with full scholarships get a place. Letter says that those with similar scores all got places in previous years but not guaranteed.....

I don't think a full scholarship is a guarantee of a place - but it increases your chances and I think most kids with full scholarships get in. But I don't think 2 half scholarships (e.g. half in music and half in sport) are the same as a full scholarship in one. The single full scholarships trump the halves.

I think.....Kingsdale is never easy to be certain about!!

There are only 60 places available for scholarship (presumably 30 sports/30 music) but MANY more full scholarships are offered than that. I have friends who were on the scholarship waiting list (which is a separate list to the main waiting list) last year having been offered full scholarships and their waiting list position was 160 something (main waiting list position around 200-odd), needless to say they weren't offered a place.

angelas Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And did your friend's children with full

> scholarships get places in the end? We have just

> been offered a full scholarship (letter lost in

> post I assume) and am trying to understand if all

> those with full scholarships get a place. Letter

> says that those with similar scores all got places

> in previous years but not guaranteed.....