how do you store your lego?

kmoon249

Our kids are really into lego but hate taking their creations apart. They do keep playing with their sets, so its useful to keep them together. I'm looking for furniture ideas they can use to put the lego away intact.

So tired of stepping on lego.

What works for you?

Many thanks.

Honestly? Nothing works for us. I have tried stuffle bags, separate containers for sets, bags / boxes for spare pieces, keeping the original boxes and recently a huge underbid storage box with a lid. It still ends up all over the floor / house / everywhere.

I have lost count of the number of times I have offered to lend my services with a black bin bag...

If you find a solution which works for you and your children please share!

I had this problems (with lego-fanatic triplets) and tried various things. What worked best was a combination of a huge tool box with compartments for special pieces, something like a Trofast Ikea storage unit with shallow drawers for general pieces and a few floating shelves on bedroom walls where built/worshipped items could be placed.

There were some threads on the forum about just this a few years ago - not sure the link below will work, but if you search on Lego storage you will see it?s an ongoing issue (and some interesting solutions if still available to buy).

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,1012179,1013054#msg-1013054

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,775532,775532#msg-775532

Our son has a massive Lego collection and he keeps it sorted into different types of bricks in several PP drawer units from Muji, with printed labels on them. We do have to help him do a big tidy up every now and again but it works reasonably well. The bigger ones can take whole sets but to be honest we encourage our son to take his creations apart after a few weeks so he can build anew and they don't just gather dust. They are a bit pricey but it looks really neat and if you have a big collection it works really well.

We have something similar to this that my mum bought for my kids.

https://www.scandiborn.co.uk/products/play-go-toy-bag-classic-black?variant=35977067722&gclid=CjwKCAiAodTfBRBEEiwAa1haukf_4oYQ5KYNyE9VI261tCz64axzcz6AwU2lpQs7G-tx0Mndbq_prxoCjNwQAvD_BwE

It's good because we encourage them to play with the lego on the play mat then you simply use the drawstring sides to tidy up and slide into a sturdy sided toy box. We also use low flat plastic boxes to pack away under beds and sofas.

I wish I was more organised and kept the mechanical pieces separate but all we've managed is to put the lego people into a separate bag.