Cat allergy sufferers & Hypoallergenic cats - any experience?

Hi,

My husband is allergic to cats. I've had cats all my life and really miss them in my life.

Does anyone have experience with an allergy sufferer and taking on a hypoallergenic cat? I would love to hear any experience you have with this type of cat and the allergy sufferer. Were there minimal allergy symptoms? None? or just not as bad?

I don't want him to suffer as I know it's awful in your own house, but just wondered if there was a solution out there.

I cannot commit to a hypoallergenic cat and then see what happens... for either the sake of husband or cat.

Any sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated - ideally via PM.

many thanks,

K

Hi LMI we used petal cleanse by bio life to introduce a cat into our family. You wipe their fur with it for 2 weeks initialltly. Grafualky we stopped using it and it's fine for us.We keep the cat away from bedrooms, and always away from tables and kitchen surfaces (yuk). It's the dander on their fur that's the problem they say. Worked for us. You can get it online.

My brother and his wife wanted cats but on visiting some rescues it turned out she was allergic. They did some research and discovered that some Forrest cats )can?t eemember whether Siberian or Norwegian- think Siberian) were much less allergenic and went for those. She had a small amount of reaction at first but they have an air purifier and it?s fine now.

My SiL is highly allergic to cats. She got an Abyssinian cat, and she bathes it regularly. She's had it a few years now, and my SiL is fine. She also have a regular cleaner who dusts and vacuums thoroughly. I think that helps too, because it keeps any stray hair/allergens low.

It might be worth speaking to some Abyssinian breeders, and asking to visit their cats. Abyssinian is not a common breed. You're probably looking at ?500+ for a kitten. So you want to be sure it's the right decision!

http://www.abyssiniancatclub.com/breeders.html

xx

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, my husband is also allergic to all animals basically. And the animals that he's not allergic to, it's their food that irritates him... We cannot have any kind of pet in the house :(

To tell you the truth, I was also nervous because I really wanted to get a dog, but now I've made peace with this and don't stress about it. We just won't have a pet and that's it. I'm trying to focus more on the positive side of not having a pet so I don't feel bad about it.

I think that you too will get over this at one point. You should just give it time and not focus on how sad it makes you. Think about your amazing husband and that he'll feel better if there's no pet in the house that makes him anxious or nervous.

I hope you find a solution.

Or consider a different type of pet altogether? We have fur babies, but I also have an aquarium -- and I'm very attached to our fish. I cried when my pleco died. She was beautiful, and I'd only had her a year! I now have mostly tetras, the same fish for 5+ years. There will definitely be more tears when these little fellows finally depart.

Very few people are allergic to aquariums. A good setup (25L+) is low maintenance.

Just a thought. xx