Forum Sponsors

www.advancedpainters.co.uk
xxxx
www.no-flies.co.uk

http://www.ellyallen.com/

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Would you recommend your builder, plumber, electrician or carpenter?
messageTalk to me about drones
Posted by edanna November 25, 12:18PM

My 8 year old daughter has written to Father Christmas asking for a drone with a camera. Itís not something I would ever buy normally and I think if we do buy one it will not meet her expectations. Iíve only been looking at the cheaper price end and am expecting the cheap drones to be flimsy and easy to lose or break. The reviews seem to be either 5 stars (fake?) or 1 star. But Father Christmas always brings what you ask for because he can make any toy, she says! What would you do in this situation? And have you bought a drone that has lived up to expectations?

messageRe: Talk to me about drones
Posted by PeckhamNicola November 25, 10:49PM

We have had 2, neither with camera, both very short lived. One quite expensive but fatally damaged in collision with tree on first outing. They are hard to control and it was too hard to get my son (also 8 at the time) to spend time practicing to learn how to work it properly. He's just received two more for his birthday, which have survived the first 48 hours. The rotor blades are quite well protected and son is 1 year more sensible. I wouldn't highly recommend.

Posted by edanna November 26, 10:24PM

Thanks PeckhamNicola, youíve confirmed my reservations. I hope your sonís new drones last a bit longer!

Posted by Angelina November 27, 12:05PM

I would suggest getting her an age appropriate flying toy. Open up her imagination and get her capable of flying first. Of course she's heard of drones but probably doesn't know what alternatives there are.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Father Christmas always knows best and if he gave every little child that wanted a car a real car, well, he makes toys - right!

Posted by edanna November 28, 10:40PM

Thanks Angelina - good idea. I might get her an air hog, which is indoor only so hopefully wonít end up in a tree.

Posted by PeckhamNicola November 29, 08:04AM

I have to come back on my response. Now at 9 both dexterity and patience are much improved in my son. He's still had the new ones less than a week but is very enthusiastic about them (tidying, dressing, teeth all done quick sharp in the morning so he can play). And they have survived (indoors) so far. He's mastering how to manoeuvre them.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum