Schools in the East Dulwich area. Help!

Are you happy with the school your child/children go to? If so, why? We moved from London to Buckinghamshire only to be very disappointed with our village school. Looks good on paper, but it's regimented, unimaginative, unfriendly and narrow. I want an environment in which my child will not only recieve a good education, but also be encouraged to thrive as an individual. Any opinions/advice on local schools would really be appreciated!!

I agree with Jessie ( and by the way I hope your son likes his school in September). There are lots of lovely local primary schools where our children continue to thrive. The area has become so popular for young families places have become scarce. If it was just your 10 year old you could probably easily find a place at your chosen school, but with a year 2 (?) as well you may have more luck than those who presently have 4 year olds.

I would check Ofsted to get names and addresses and perhaps make some phone calls to get your girls on waiting lists ASAP.

However the area is popular for a reason. This is a lovely part of London and I'm glad my children are growing up here.

Stay with the Ed forums, they have their uses!

Ann

Hi, this thread is making me wonder when I need to start thinking about getting a place for my son, who is only one year old?! There was a story recently that 2008 was a baby boom year, and that reception spaces will be even harder to find from 2012. So what does a parent do to get a place, and how far in advance are these waiting lists? and what if there are no places - what happens?

chantelle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi, this thread is making me wonder when I need to

> start thinking about getting a place for my son,

> who is only one year old?! There was a story

> recently that 2008 was a baby boom year, and that

> reception spaces will be even harder to find from

> 2012. So what does a parent do to get a place, and

> how far in advance are these waiting lists? and

> what if there are no places - what happens?

Chantelle,

I wasn't trying to scaremonger. You can't put a pre-school child on a waiting list. But school-age children can for a variety of reasons. As your child is only one, a lot can happen in 3 to 4 years.

ok, i don't mean to sound crazy. i do worry about this stuff though - i mean, he's still not come up on the waiting lists i put him down for 9 months ago on nurseries in SE11. Now we're moving to SE15 and the fun is starting all over again.

he does like lolling around in the soot in our open fireplace ...