Cranial Osteopathy - views

KBN

Hello all,

Do people have views on cranial osteopathy and whether it works to settle babies?

I had a difficult birth - ended up ventouse, and my 6 wk old daughter is pretty crotchety/colicky/cries when feeding etc. Has anyone used CO for this and did it work? Am V nervous about someone manipulating my little one's skull but hear only good things...

Also, where should I go?

Thanks

K

I went for similar reasons - forceps birth, baby had terrible wind and reflux - and although I have no idea how it works, my baby did definitely improve, became more settled, slept better etc. His wind got so much better too - from having to wind for over an hour, he was bringing up burps without us trying. He was always very relaxed after sessions too. I went to Tania at the Dulwich Therapy Rooms who I would highly recommend, she was lovely and took lots of details before she started work, and explained what her findings were when she was working with my son. He seemed to really relax in her care. Also don't think of it as manipulation - it's really these tiny little movements so baby doesn't notice at all, in fact in my experience as I say it had a calming effect. Of course I'll never know to what extent other factors helped - generally getting older, using infant gaviscon etc etc - but in my view it was worth it. Am sure others may have different views too.

Hello there.

I had a similar delivery with my first son who in the early days was pretty grizzly. We have about three sessions with the CO at Soup Dragon and he did get much better (however he may have also done so without it). The treatment was extreemly gentle and I am sure he even slept through it.I had no concerns about upsetting him or injury. Perhaps call them and I am sure she will explain all that is involved.

Good luck

M

There's a great place in Farringdon - a charity http://www.fpo.org.uk/index.html - helped me out when I was pregnant and unable to walk due to torn ligaments etc - a lovely place, highly recommended. My sis-in-law took my nephew recently after a traumatic birth and they helped both mum and baby a lot. No manipulation of skulls or any kind of quackery (though the results were so good for me it was kind of magical),

Jess

Hi, I went to the place in Farringdon after a forceps delivery and to see if they could sort out my son's reflux. For various reasons, we only made it to the first consultation, but they seemed very professional and you only pay what you can afford. (they rely on donations, otherwise it's free.)

Hello there. Similar reasons - traumatic birth, stuck, posterior, forceps and then back in hospital after a week very ill. All in all my son was probabbly traumatised and definately couldn't settle. I took my son for craniosacral therapy at the Dulwich Medical Centre. One of their independent practitioners upstairs treated him. Her name's Helen Oates. Here's the link on their pages and contact details. http://www.dulwichmedicalcentre.nhs.uk/craniosacral.htm

I can't praise it enough. The therapy was amazing - I can't really describe how much better he was straight away. I needed 3 sessions and then that was it.

Helen Oates was lovely too.

Both my children had cranial osteopathy after very traumatic births - wonderful results, can't recommend it highly enough, we went to Marguerite Corbo at the Soup Dragon, she also works at the Farringdon Centre. It is also very good for stressed and tired mums!

As someone who had never dealt in alternative medicine I was very dubious when the midwife suggested CO for a very large bump on my baby's head. I left it for months but it just wouldn't go away. Eventually I thought it couldn't hurt and made an appointment. The man held my baby in his hands for half an hour without seemingly moving his fingers. He only reshifted position a few times, so when I came out of his consulting room I told my husband what a waste of time and money that was.

Within a week the bump had disappeared and I have now become an advocate of CO.

CO, I have been informed, is post-grad stuff not quackery. Just make sure you check qualifications.

Dear KBN,

I suffered a traumatic birth with my son, which resulting in him being very unsettled and colicky. I took him for CO twice and found that it definetly calmed him right down, both during the procedure and for several days afterwards. I only wish I had been able to afford to take him on a weekly basis because it really seemed to work (I am usually quite sceptical about this kind of thing) I hope you and your new daughter find things get easier over the next few weeks. I found the following website really helpful...birthtraumaassociation.org

all the best x

I can also recommend it for both babies and mums. Try Justine at the The Bellenden Therapies on Bellenden Rd, she did wonders to my sore back (and Ive tried all possible massages you can get in the area, and nothing worked) and her treatment settled my baby nicely when he was just a few weeks old. I know other mums whose babies she helped with colic, constipation etc. She works Tuesdays and there is a walk-in clinic 1-2pm I think

http://www.bellendentherapies.co.uk/

Thanks all,

I'm going to give it a go.

Taper - it may do nothing, but if there is a chance that it might work and save my daughter angst and us the grief of coping with it, it is worth a go...

K

I'd definitely recommend it - I had it during pregnancy as I had some pelvis problems .. and then after my still born baby came through his traumatic start we went back and she's helping with his lungs and brain as they're tight so she's trying to release the pressure etc .. Elaine at Dulwich Therapy Rooms is great - and she's great with the bub - he's totally content in her presence.

Totally agree with you regarding Taper .. we're just trying to give our kids the best start and willing to try absolutely anything to make things better for them .. and cranial osteo doesn't involve cracking of bones or deep tissue massage so it can't harm really can it!

I will back the recommendation of Elaine at the ED therapy rooms. She is great and lovely with babies and new mums. Such a nice lady. Totally worth every penny. I too had a colicky baby with reflux and Elaine was brilliant at calming my little one down and helping her with her sleep. I would thoroughly recommend Elaine.