Your top places to go

Any good ideas to share, in case others have missed them?

My top 5:

Rotherhithe City Farm (free, easy to park, great for U8s)

Gambados softplay, Beckenham (expensive, but lots to do inc dodgems and carousel)

Godstone Farm (great day out)

Sydenham Wells park, with the water fountains

Swimming lessons for pre-schoolers at Dolphin Swim School, Mitcham (dedicated parking, baby friendly changing room, play area and lots of highchairs)

Loving the summary - thanks.

I am going to add:

http://www.coramsfields.org/

Great central London location means you can drag toddler round Covent Garden shopping in the morning while fresh and co-operative, and then whip them away to the free, flexible and lovely spot that is Coramfields when they need to do their own thing for a bit.

If you go early in the morning, you can be back in East Dulwich by nap time.

You may have to get a couple....63 to Farringdon and then you can walk up to Grey's Inn Rd (or maybe get the 17 from there, but not overly reliable). It's a nice walk.

Or you can train it from Denmark Hill to City Thameslink, and get the 8, 242 or 25 along whatever road that is that goes up to Chancery Lane, and walk the last bit.

Or... you can train to London Bridge from ED and catch the 17 from there. On reflection, I would go with this last option. The 63 can be a long journey, and Denmark Hill as we all know is no good for buggies.

Here's the link to their own directions:

http://www.coramsfields.org/visit.php

Have to add the Southbank- running around the fountains and the Scoop at the new County Hall, Borough Market, the Golden Hind replica ship, waving to all the boats on the river, Hays Galleria, Tate Modern, buskers, playing on the wooden rocking horses/sculptures in Gabriels wharf, climbing on the stone circle by NFT, watching the skateboarders & BMXers in the Hayward undercroft, running up and down the Festival Hall stairs, then a meal in Giraffe or Wagamama before heading home. And only about 20 minutes away by bus/car.

Oh, and plenty of toilets along the way (always a bonus!)

Fuschia Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> quickbrownfox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Loving the summary - thanks.

> >

> > I am going to add:

> >

> > http://www.coramsfields.org/

> > > If you go early in the morning, you can be

> back in

> > East Dulwich by nap time.

>

> What's the best bus?

Or if you do the Covent Garden thing first you can get the 176 to the Strand/Aldwych.

Bethnal Green museum of childhood. Can park nearby for free on sunday; great cafe little shop selling fab stuff and loads for kids to do - tinies to about 8yrs I would have thought (mine are 2 and 4 and both LOVE it). Not too packed and FREE!

mrs.lotte Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bethnal Green museum of childhood. Can park nearby

> for free on sunday;

That's a good tip, we'll try that!

Another good place is the Docklands Museum, has a good children's area and you can get the DLR from Lewisham which is good fun in itself.

Really glad have just seen this as am planning to go to Coram's tomorrow and wanted the best buggy route- thanks quick brown fox! We go the Natural history alot and my best with buggy and by myself route is to get train from ED to peckham Rye then to Victoria and then hop on the 52 bus. Sounds longer than what it is but fine if you get your train times right, I leave ED at 11.44, get on a Victoria train at 11.50 and get a bus at 12.15 ish. Often there by half past. Make sure the Vic train goes from Platform 1 not 3 at PR! Well worth it for T rex.

For Covent Garden I usually do either the 63 to Blackfriars/Fleet Street and walk it, or train Nunhead to Blackfriars and walk it....not a bad walk up Fleet Street, and then up through the Strand, takes about 15 to 20 minutes...

Nunhead Station not great for buggy's either due to stairs, but 9 times out of 10 someone helps me....

Oh, another place I love to go - Princess Diana Memorial Playground by Kensington Palace, it's fabulous.

The best route I've found so far, though not buggy friendly is in to Blackfriars, then walk up to St Paul's and get the Central Line tube along to Queensway - it's 2 minutes walk from there. Not sure about buses, when I last checked it out it seemed like hard work. I have walked it from Oxford Street, it was a nice, but fairly long walk through the park.

http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/kensington_gardens/diana_playground.cfm

Molly

Can't yopu get the 176 to waterloo bridge then ealk to Covent Garden from there?

Though with a twin buggy, buses are pretty much out of the question, sadly. Have been refused entry to them too many times now, even when there is clearly space. Most drivers won't even open the doors.

with twin buggy i used to go to london bridge (train) then continue to charing cross (train again) it's all step free from ED.

also apart from the last steps at south ken you can get to exhibition row for science museum etc... (recommend lunch at the V&A-it's calmer and the kids can play in the garden) London bridge (train) lift down to jubilee line to westminster then lift across platforms to the district line. did this loads with double buggy.

Def agree with the Southbank, and for good family days out Godstone farm is lovely, but our top family day out is Hever Castle in Kent; massive adventure playground, squirty water maze (take swimmies & a towel), jousting, rowing boats, picnic, running around gardens & enormous 'how we lived' dolls house display. The other place that's really good to go on hot days is the water meadows out in Sidcup. They're called Craysfoot meadows, it's about 40 minutes in a car. the river Cray is shallow, clear and pebbly (kids might need jellies/crocs) but take a picnic & a fishing net & they'll be happy for hours. Probably better once you're past the pushchair stage.

One if you've got the car - went last weekend to Holmbush Farm in Horsham, between A24 and A23. A calmer version of Godstone Farm and better for younger kids I thought. There is a soft play but it says under 4 and it really is for under 4's. The usual selection of animals with tractor rides, feeding the animals, animal petting etc. A great outdoor play area with tree houses, sandpits, air cushion trampolines, an OK Corral complete with Teppee. A half decent cafe too and they don't mind you taking your coffees outside. It just seemed gentler than some similar places and my 3 year old LOVED it whereas Godstone Farm and Fisher Farm overwhelmed her a little.

• 2 years later...