Friern School?

I just found a very old photo behind my fire surround of a school football team with the year 34-35 and the word FRIERN on the football the central boy is holding. Can anyone give me any information on the school? I have seen posts that refer to a Friern girls school but the photo shows all boys and a male teacher. They are in a hall with a parquet flooring, tiles on the walls up to about chest hight, windows divided into smaller panes under which are cast iron column radiators. The front row of boys are sitting on bentwood chairs. There are also many framed pictures of some kind on the wall, even over the window, also possibly a stage or cuboards at the far end.

Thanks.

Roy

"Friern School opened in 1896 as a primary school for girls and boys.It was later to become a secondary modern called Friern Girls High School until 1978 when it amalgamated with Honor Oak Grammar School and became known as Waverley School which remained open until 2002. A fire destroyed a lot of the building shortly afterwards"

See about 4/5 down the page here: http://www.derelictlondon.com/id49.htm

Frien was split between the Goodrich Site & the site in the picts is the one opposite Peckham Rye. Not sure which way round, but know that Frien later became a senior school for girls in the 60's which i think was based at the rye site.

I'm sure the school was called Dulwich Central School before the name was changed to Friern. My dad went here after he left Heber Road. He was also on the football team, but later than 34/35...... fascinating find though!!

R&A Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> wow! can you post the photo?

Here is a copy of the photo.

Looking at my house deeds I belive that one of the boys must be the son of one Benjamin Alfred Howard who moved into my house in 1934.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

All the best.

Roy

• 5 years later...
I know this is long while since the thread started but I have just started researching family history. I wonder whether my uncles are in your photo (which I cannot see so please could you post it). Leonard Smith went there from Heber Road Junior School in 1932 and then David in 1934. I presume my Dad Edgar would have gone around 1936. Unfortunately they have all died so I cannot ask them