Nappy Laundry Service in the area?

Does anyone know of a working nappy laundry service in the area?

We're keen to use real nappies when jnr arrives but the one recommended on Southwark council website seems to have gone into administration or similar (Bumbletots) and nobody else we've looked at seems to do SE22

to wash the nappies by yourself is not as bad as it sounds. rub stains with a basic soap bar (13p for 3 at sainsburys), then soak the nappies in napisan until you have a machine full. Then wash at 40 degrees and they come out as new. I found the whole thing much easier than expected, but must admit we still use disposable ones at night and when we are out and about. I know this does not answer your question but try it out.

I just flush the liner (with the poo) in the loo, then stick mine in a nappy bucket with a mesh in it (no soaking or anything). No smell, no fuss. I fling 'em all in on a 60 degree wash every 2/3 days and they're done. I would have thought its easier than faffing about with a nappy service?

Hi Gimme,

This is the best website to you to find local laundry services;

Via the the ?find a supplier? option;

http://www.changeanappy.co.uk/index.htm

Can I also suggest you check out this page on The Nappy Lady website which gives the pros and cons of these services;

http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/public/articledetails.aspx?id=53

As others have said, home laundering is much easier than you would imagine, and will save you a huge amount compared to a laundry service. You will also have access to far superior cloth nappies.

I am taking August off, but depending when baby is due, if you'd like to contact me in September I'd be happy to provide you with a detailed advice letter, and also book you in to attend one of my cloth nappy demos (I will also be doing a nappuchino event for Southwark Council in September but date is yet TBC).

Incidentally - beware of soaking in Nappisan anyone (or other similar products) if you have a tumble dryer. These products contain chemicals which leave a residue in the nappies, and if subsequently tumble dried the heat causes a chemical reaction that attacks the elastic in most nappies and eventually ruins them. Better to soak in a capful of plain old white vinegar to half a bucket of water if you soak at all (I'm with Mellors on the dry pailing, much prefer it).

Best wishes, Molly

The Nappy Lady

www.thenappylady.co.uk

[email protected]

Very true - but of course they are laundering their own nappies, not yours, so if they wreck them it is their problem!

If you don't TD your nappies it's fine to use Nappisan or similar if you like using it, but White Vinegar will do the job just as well and is cheaper too!

Molly

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Nappy Lady - we found one of your videos on YouTube. Very informative.

Baby is due mid-October so we'll hopefully be able do attend one of your demos in September.

I wash my own, and find it really easy. I'm another dry pail fan - simply flush liner and associated nasties down the loo and pop the rest in the bucket. Straight into the machine on a 60 degree wash and they're done. Dry within a few hours on the line in sunny warm weather, or overnight on a clothes airer when the weather gets colder and we have the heating on.

I think I prefer doing it this way, as as far as I'm aware you don't get your own nappies back when you use a company? I much prefer knowing that only my baby has been wearing them!

I think my daughter must be particularly messy because the poo frequently overflows the liner onto the nappy. A soak is a must after that. yuk.

Molly - I've been concerned about having to soak the nappies because I think you said that this can compromise their absorbency? Or am I getting confused with something else?!

Ah so now I'm in a quandry as I use those all-in-one nappies - the ones with the waterproof bit attached to the actual nappy. To soak or not to soak? I have noticied that sometimes I have to change them after just 2 hours which doesn't seem very long. Not sure if she's just wee'd excessively or the nappy has lost it's ability to keep it all in.

Sorry to hi-jack your thread, Gimme!