Does your child have a primary place miles away?

emc

I'd like to hear from anyone who's been allocated a primary school place a fair distance from where they live in a school that's not one of their four choices. It's for an item on a morning TV show to go out at the beginning of the school term...for more info PM me. Many thanks

I heard that it's because fewer families are choosing to leave london these days (possibly for fear of losing job and not getting another one? or perhaps not wanting to sell their home in a depressed housing market?) and therefore london schools are becoming overcrowded. Is this right?

There were big problems in my local area. My neighbours were the group which met with Tessa Jowell. They got a solution but its a one off and wont work for next year when my son will apply. It's these areas in the middle surrounded by good schools but not close enough to any. All were offered places the other side of Pckham. I am keen to keep the campaign going so do contact me. Happy to give you my number over private email.

toast Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> There were big problems in my local area. My

> neighbours were the group which met with Tessa

> Jowell. They got a solution but its a one off and

> wont work for next year when my son will apply.

What solution did they get?

yes, am interested to know, too. There were 15 plus parents who had a meeting with Tessa Jowell. Our 'solution' was to get on a waiting list for a school I didn't particularly want my son to go to due to its location and the fact he is being separated from ALL of his friends. Eventually after much hand wringing and sleepless nights we got a place at the school. Not so much a problem at 4 that he won't know anyone at all and all the other kids will be from Nunhead, but still not a solution as far as I can see. I still feel VERY let down by Southwark Council. Where we are on our 4 chosen school is so far down, I just laugh now as it beats crying.

i'm interested to know what solution was offered too. i was another one who initially didn't get any of our 4 choices. i have since been lucky enough to be offered a place at one of the schools we did apply to but i'd still like to know what solution tessa jowell came up with .....

Where I work, oversubscribed schools are taking on additional forms of entry with mobile classrooms, in some cases.

I haven't seen the information from Southwark about the demographics... surely they will need to increase primary places in Dulwich? I'd suggest someone puts in an FOI request for all the info about the Council's discussions. Someone posted that next year the local elections are just after the primary places offer...

Fuschia this is happening as well in some schools in Wandsworth. Where I teach they are offering an additional Foundation stage class, due to demographics. Something to do with School's Contingency plan, I think. The school was approached to offer an additional class with funding allocated. Good luck in Dulwich!

nicolemodesti Wrote:The school was

> approached to offer an additional class with

> funding allocated.

Yes, that's how it works, but Councils don't have enough money to open enough of these extra classes, I believe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/jul/12/primary-schools-admissions-crisis

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/lobbying/children/primaryschoolplaces.htm

Lack of money is an excuse for everything, there is lots of extra funding comming in and i bet in the next local elections all parties promis a new primaey in ED probably right in the middle of the Rye. ED is just rally badly hit because of the local Baby boom. Parents with 3 year olds have no idea what a squeez it's going to be.

The one off solution was a 'bulge class'. A two form entry school is being turned into three form for one year only. Great for this year but increases the sibling burden for next making it even more unlikely that my son will get into any of his nearest schools.

Not sure but i know its a popular and last min so the staff dont know. They have also put an extra class (or 1/2 class) perminantly in Lynbourn grove (the one by Denmark hill). The idea being that places ripple across cambelwell and ED. Helpful but no way near enough. Will free up places in Dog Kennel but with growing number of kids and people not yet trusting Goose Green I doubt it will free up much as far as Heaber and Goodrich are concerned. If you know anyone who will apply in September warn them to get active. Council are making their plans for extra places in Sept 2009 and making decisions re 2010 now, so now and the next few weeks in when to lobby. I got all my info from calling/ emailing important people.

Think i should change my forum name to obsessedaboutschools.

Goodnews is Southwark schools rocketed this year and we have loads of upandcomming great schools. Just have to make sure we can get into one!

Posted by: toast August 07, 02:16PM

Not sure but i know its a popular and last min so the staff dont know

I'm confused that staff at the school are unaware that they will be having an additional class in September 2009? My school in Wandsworth was aware, months before, after agreeing with the council, to an additional Foundation Stage class. An open day and meetings were held for prospective parents and children in May so they knew they had a place, in a local area school, for September. The school has also had to employ a new teaching member and LSA to accommodate the class.

I'm curious from a professional point of view. Although I really do feel your pain in Dulwich. Hard enough making the right choice about a school for your child then being denied any of your 4 choices. Enough stress with all this at Secondary entrance let alone primary!!