Which doctor's surgery is good?

Will_

Hi all,

We've just moved into the area.

What is the best GP surgery near East Dulwich station?

The NHS site suggests:

* Melbourne Grove Medical Practice (6 bad reviews)

* Dr Sarma ?

* Dulwich Medical Centre (open weekends)

* The Hambleden Clinic (2 bad reviews)

* The Gardens Surgery (3 good reviews, but it's very busy)

So I'm thinking Dulwich Medical Centre?

We're with DMC, pretty happy with the service overall though tbh now for urgent baby related problems I'd always go straight to children's a and e, I've realised both the GP and seldoc tend to discount what you say if a fever had persisted for many days, and (wrongly!) assume everything is a virus that will resolve itself.

But DMC is good for on the day appts (ask to see the duty dr if they quibble about whether you can be seen) and they have their own midwives, saturday appts etc

Hambleden is awful, I was with them for two years and filed two complaints in that time! They lost my notes for about 6 months and the phlebotomist took calls on two different mobiles (selling his car!!) whilst taking my blood. The practice manager never bothered to respond to my complaints...I'd say avoid them!

I second DMC, they've been very good to our household so far. You can get appointments the same day (compared to some doctors I've been with this in itself is brilliant) and they answer the phone quickly, open weekends and late night appointments for after work etc etc. Been a frequent visitor with pregnancy, toddler and post-birth needs and yet to disappoint.

I don't know what it is with Reception staff but every medical facility I have been to (including Dulwich Medical Centre and Forest Hill Practice) they are the worse by far (ranging from a bit abrupt to really rude)... maybe just my luck, but at least the nurses, doctors and midwives always seem to be a lot nicer!

Please please do not register for Melbourne Grove, despite its handy location. I've moaned about them elsewhere on here; they're truly appalling - in terms of letting you see a doctor (as a matter of routine they don't), massive turnover of regular staff and a few of the reception staff/the practice supervisor are officious and infuriating. I swapped to DMC and it's much better.

DMC have been great for us, though not near the station. It is a big practice with long opening hours and a few Saturday surgeries. I have found the GPs good with kids and with women's health issues. For babies and young children it is often possible to get on-the-day appointments.

True, the receptionists are nice enough. But I felt that they could not have cared less about my son, at every level. Maybe it was because he wasn't born in the UK, don't know, but when we moved to a new surgery and he finally had a visit from an HV at almost THREE YEARS OLD she was absolutely gobsmacked and very apologetic. She worked very hard to finally get him a red book, updated records, and referrals on a few concerns I had been trying to pursue for almost two years. Every time I went to the Gardens I left feeling like I had let my son down. I think they've lost the plot.

And don't even get me started on the lack of interest shown towards my own health concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

Forest Hill Group Practice doctors aren't all excellent. The only nice doctor there is Dr Main and the nurse who administer the travel vaccinations, Kerry. You have to wait at last 2 days for an appointment. The receptionists are horrible & rude. When you go for a test they lose the samples not once, not twice but repeatedly.

Helen Graham is a terrible rude doctor and talks down at most people while Greaves is just aggressive. These two run the place in partnership along with an ever changing roster of random doctors that you'll never see the same one again. Once you're in, its like countdown, you get your 2 seconds worth and you're out, never mind your illness!

If you have a baby Will_, you will not get a same day appointment at this surgery unless he/she has fatal symptoms. Most of the time your baby will be seen by the duty doctor and they're not in on a Wednesday so no appointments till the following day.

It's such a shame the Oakwood midwifery practice is attached to this GP surgery as their work is faultless. Linda with all the other midwives are dedicated, hardworking & very friendly. A really nice bunch but what a pity they come under the curse of FHGP. We were with this surgery long time ago but are now very happy with DMC - same day appointments for babies and the staff are very nice.

good luck with your choice. We leant the hard way!

Forest Hill Group Practice doctors aren't all excellent apart from Dr. Main. You have to wait at least 2 days for an appointment. The receptionists are horrible & rude and so are the main doctors - make you fell very unwelcome.

When you go for a test they lose the samples repeatedly. They've an ever changing roster of random doctors that you'll never see the same one again. Once you're in, its like countdown, you get your 2 seconds worth and you're out, never mind your illness!

If you have a baby Will_, you will not get a same day appointment at this surgery unless he/she has fatal symptoms. Most of the time your baby will be seen by the duty doctor and they're not in on a Wednesday so no appointments till the following day.

It's such a shame the Oakwood midwifery practice is attached to this GP surgery as their work is faultless. Linda with all the other midwives are dedicated, hardworking & very friendly. A really nice bunch but what a pity they're attached to the FHGP. We were with this surgery long time ago but are now very happy with DMC - same day appointments for babies and the staff are very nice.

good luck with your choice. We leant the hard way!

My family have had a completely different experience with the Forest Hill Road Practice. I've never been unable to get an appointment for the same day when necessary, and have never had to wait more than a couple of days for a routine appointment. In 30 years I've never felt that I was treated rudely by a member of the reception staff and have never been made to feel unwelcome by any of the doctors. I've always felt that I've been given as much time as I've needed to discuss medical problems, and have been referred quickly for many many tests and different treatments whilst I've been with the Practice. I've never had any test results go astray. My only gripe over the years has been that the doctors at the Practice are generally not enthusiastic about making referrals for any vaguely alternative treatment. But overall, I can't fault the Practice.

I'm glad to hear you've had such a positive experience at the FHGP. Almost bizarre reading your post Growlybear - we've experienced the complete opposite!

However may I take the opportunity to share that your only gripe about the practice is what caused a member of my immediate family a serious operation as this particular GP kept saying it was nothing when in fact it needed immediate medical attention and it took well over a year to get there. Truth is a bitter pill to swallow and I'm glad I've had my say in it.

We're very happy with DMC.

I have been attending the Forest Hill Road surgery for over 25 years and have never had a problem with them and agree with everything Growlybear says about them.My now grown up son reguarly goes to the Asthma clinic and I to the Healthy Heart clinic .All communication whether by phone or letter has always been excellent. Unless I moved away I would never think of going anywhere else .

I have been with Forest Hill Road for a couple of years and my experience has been pretty good overall, the facilities are good and I have always been seen when I needed to. Reception staff I find a bit short (not rude, but just not particularly pleasant/friendly), Nurse Kerry is absolutely lovely, kind, caring & fantastic, Nurse Ilana is ok but not very friendly, and ahhh the latest addition to the surgery...the young new Doctor Patel is very nice and so gorgeous. I will make sure I specifically ask for him next time I get an appointment (although I suspect there must be a que of women accidentally banging themselves in the head "Olivio-ad" style just to see him)