Which stroller to buy?

skip

Hi,

Baby Skip is now 8 months old; the buggy is taking up the entire boot and killing my back; so I figure it is time to get a stoller. Any tips on which one to get? Features to look for? Ideally could go on a plane in the overhead locker, and be light and compact for the car. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Skip.

We have a maclaren techno xt which reclines all the way and also has a hood that you can unzip and make it bigger to protect the baby from the sun or too much light (great when they are asleep in the buggy). You can also extend the seat a bit (which makes a nice foot rest). Note that not all techno xt models have these features so check before you buy.

We travel on the plane a lot and the buggy has been brilliant, I can fold and unfold it with one hand while carrying my son. It is slightly heavier then other models of maclaren but I reckon it is worth buing this one if your baby sleeps in the buggy (even occasionally) because of the reclining seat and the hood. My son is 21 months and sleeps like a baby because the seat is flat and long when you extend it. Hope that helps, good luck!

We also have the Maclaren Techno XT, it's quite good although my daughter doesn't like sitting in any buggy at the moment so she often stands on the buggy board while I push the otherwise empty buggy. Nice thing about the Techno XT is the lie flat option that will also come in handy if you're thinking of having another baby at some point.

I've never been allowed to take an umbrella fold buggy onto the plane with me but they do let you take it up to the gate at pretty much any airport, and depending on the airport you fly to you will either get it back again at the gate OR... you end up walking to the hold luggage carousel (e.g. in Amsterdam) with a prewalker on your hip and a massive handbag on your shoulder (while pregnant ;-)). Tip: put your baby on a hand baggage trolley (the ones that have a basket at handlebar height) and hold him/her very well. It saves your back.

I don't think so. The one on the photo isnt Techno XT anyway as there are two types (round and square looking hood, if it makes sense. techno xt has a square hood). I actually thought that recalling it in the US (and nowhere else) was a storm in a tea cup but maybe I am wrong? I have never ever had any problems with mine, and dont know anyone who has - and most of my friends have a maclaren.

i can also recommend the maclaren. (ours actually a Four Seasons, but it's basically a Techno XT with different covers)

The recall was definitely a storm in a teacup - as with any moving hinge there is a tiny risk of injury. This applies to any umbrella buggy. Recall only means you can get a little pad or something to cover the hinge, it doesn't mean they actually take back the buggy.

There isn't any buggy you could guarantee would make it onto a plane - unless it was within hand luggage size requirements, which sounds pretty impossible. I think any buggy can go to the gate though and they will either give it back at the aircraft door or in baggage, depending on the airline and their constraints at the time.

Maclarens are great. Techno or Quest are good if you want the buggy to recline properly, or a Triumph if you want something a bit more compact and lightweight. I've used a Triumph many times when flying with my daughter and on occasion the cabin crew (BA) have stowed it on board in the business class section if the flight wasn't too busy and there was space. It's always worth asking them nicely once you get to the gate/board the plane, as usually you leave the buggy to be stowed just before you board.

Another Maclaren vote here. A trip to any airport and a wait by the "buggy chute" will confirm taht it ios far and away the most popular stroller about, at least in the UK. Ours is 6 years old (Quest) done 2 children and will, I hope, be upercedede by a lovely new XT once new babay out grows our big carry cot type pram. Have sometimes been lucky and allowed in the plane, more often allowed to wheel it up to the door and then had it stowed away. At smaller European airports it is often waiting on the tarmac for us, but on the return to Uk more often have to traipse through the airport to baggage reclaim, no doubt because of the tunnel thing you walk along instead of going down the steps.

• 6 years later...
Just to give you another option to consider, we went with the Silver Cross Pop stroller and have found it great for us. It lies flat for sleeping and has an extending hood which was perfect on holiday. It doesn't steer as easily one handed but feels incredibly light compared to our Bugaboo.