Peckham Rye Childrens Play Area

AllforNun

I stumbled upon this travesty the other day and really could not believe my eyes. I do not have children yet but if I did I think I would be offended if this was all I was offered. Who on Earth is responsible ? How on earth can they/council be thinking of spending any more money on Goose Green ? Are the toddlers of Peckham really that undeserving ?

I'll assume its Peckham Rye Park you're talking about. For the size of the park the area is poor, quite isolated, poorly lit and has a poor range of activities/toys. Goose Green is much better though does need work - I have two children and the youngest is poorly catered for at Goose Green as there are often firemans pole directly across from the steps they climb up to get to the slides! Good design?!?

It does seem ashame that Peckham Rye wasn't given a bigger and better makeover though as the park is lovely and once there is a cafe available could become more popular but the play area could be a limiting factor to its success. Shame

HeidiHi Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I am a nanny, I took my little man there, and I

> was not amused, the toys were nasty and tatty, I

> told his mum upon my return that I am not taking

> him to that riff raff place again!

'Little man', 'told his mum upon my return' and 'riff raff'. Sounds more like Peckham Rye circa 1880.

May I enquire, in which area of the park were you promenading with your perambulator Heidi?

Well, I'm glad someone brought this up, because there are apparently plans afoot to transform the One O'Clock Club, which anyone who has ever been to will admit is pretty shabby. Apparently, some of the tree roots have cracked some of the walls of the main building and its been "condemned" (according to the woman who runs the club. They are currently trying to get funding under the Cleaner, Greener, Safer Initiative from the council to redo the whole thing. I don't know if it got approved (meeting was a few days ago). It was a little worrying though, because the woman who runs the club wanted to chop the big trees down and build a bigger building. I hope they consult a proper architect etc. before they do anything. I'm sure though the council will demand that they do. Right?

As for the little children's park. It is tiny, and it's fine for under 4's, but not great for much older.

There are plans to improve the playground at Goose Green. These are at a very early stage in discussion between the Council and the newly emerging Friends of Goose Green. Some parents with small children who use the playground are leading the discussions. If you want to contribute to this, or get on the mailing list for the Friends of Goose Green, please email through the Web Forum administrator (or however it is that emails miraculously arrive without appearing on this Forum - sorry I haven't worked out yet how this happens. Can someone enlighten me?)

I like the Peckham Rye playground. Yes, it's not perfect. But I like the fact it's hidden in the trees and there are no cars to be seen; it's enclosed, secure and small enough to be able to keep an eye on my son. I love the park in general though - there's much more for kids to do there than just the play ground.

The hut with a concrete area with a little picket fence round is the One O'Clock club. Could do with some cash being spent, but lovely staff, free, and available to everyone. I like the Playground too.

I'd like to be on the Friends of Goose Green thing though as spend a lot of time there, and from my reading of the notices up it seems that the playground is not going to get a makeover, rather the money is to be spent on dog related items. I think it's a shame, the only dog related item needed is a big sign to tell dog owners which side of the fence they can let their dogs run around in. Once that is sorted can't see what else is needed.

Dear all

The friends of Peckham Rye Park consist of about 10 6-10year olds so I am told. The 1 o'clock club is infact housed in huts that were used to intern Italian Prisoners During the 2nd world war (yes and then we stole all their recipes!). The club has been flooding regulary for 9 years due to poor drainage hence why it is closed for months on end. The council are well aware but do give give a flying ....goose....they are to busy speding money elsewhere...Goose Green for starters.

The playground is not adequate in anyway it is Rubbish, and it should be revamped long before Goose Green gets any more funding. Apparently the greens big green over-ornate fence with 10 dog foul bins spaced every 20ft cost in excess of ?150000, so bad luck there goes your new playground.

There are also no decent playgrouds this side of the Rye and the people of ED are already served by Dulwich Villages own Alton Towers in Dulwich Park !

Having met the lady who runs the 1'oclock (very nice she is too) I doubt she would be able to chop down that tree on her own. More likely it fall a crush the 1'oclock club long before she tools herself up.

Ps... someone should have asked the prisoners to provide a proper recipe for Cappaccino to the cafe's of ED cause none of them have a bleedin clue....but then neither do the people who are drinking them so hey ho !

katgod Wrote:

>

> I'd like to be on the Friends of Goose Green thing

> though as spend a lot of time there, and from my

> reading of the notices up it seems that the

> playground is not going to get a makeover, rather

> the money is to be spent on dog related items. I

> think it's a shame, the only dog related item

> needed is a big sign to tell dog owners which side

> of the fence they can let their dogs run around

> in. Once that is sorted can't see what else is

> needed.

The work on the dogs area is on the Green itself. The playground is a separate matter. We have at least ?40k for repairs to the playground, and hoping to get another ?40k for improvements to the playground. So if you want to be involved in this let me know and I will give you contact details.

AllforNun Wrote:

>The friends of Peckham Rye Park consist of about

>10 6-10year olds so I am told.

The Young Friends of the Park does indeed have about 10 members and is funded by Southwark Council. For more info contact [email protected] (This group has no connection with, other than supported by, The Friends of Peckham Rye Park www.foprp.org.uk )

The One O'clock Club is managed by Southwark Council and run by Scotchrita Brown-Elliston 020 7525 2000. The One O'clock club also has it's own 'Friends of' group.

Both are continually campaigning for funding and assistance for improvements, but need further support from the community. So rather than adopt 'Little Red Hen' syndrome and just enjoy others hard work or complain about the poor facilities, get involved and find out what you can do to help. :))

There's nothing much wrong with the playground. My kids and lots of others love it, it doesn't get too busy and the tinies love prattling around inside the metal drum thing. AllForNun is just enjoying a wee bit of a stir, methinks. And we use Goose Green swings just as much as PRP, as many do, so that's a false opposition.

Er not at stir - believe it or not on the other side of the park live a group of human beings with small children who do not want to walk 2 miles to freekin goose green. As for the "dog are is a separate issue" you really are taking the piss. The fact that there never was a dog are there until 2 years ago says it all really. Er we want a new dog are and lets cut the park in two, er now we want new fences and lamposts, er now we want a new play area to rival Dulwich Park!

Lets hope Gordon runs for a snap election, ming dies of old age and the lib dems and the Con nutters from Dulwich vilage all get arrested for corruption.

Power to the people and down with the Croc Dulwich massive. !

Are we still talking about the playground in Peckham Rye Park? If so, I (still - said so in earlier post) like it and while there with my little one today thought good things about it: small and enclosed so not worrying about him running off and being lost; never millions of people there like Dulwich Park. Plus I am a big fan of the park itself so always a joy for both of us to leave and meander back homeward bound through it. Honestly, if you saw the park near where my mother lives in Newcastle you'd see how good it is. I feel lucky to live near it.

Yes Jessie. It IS a nice park. I much prefer it to Dulwich Park which is over-run with privately educated kiddies and their rather older yummified mothers. Sorry to be derogatory but it is true.

People in Peckham Rye Prk tend to be more down to earth, and friendly to boot. Plus it's a lovely park. The play area is fine, and the One O clock club is a real find. Thank God it's not in Dulwich Park!

Oh come on jessie spangles, the reason why its quiet is that most mums tend not to feel that safe heading into a secluded area of a park which come winter is even gloomier than normal. Is it in more or less of a need for modernisation than goose green ? and we are just talking about the Play Area no other aspect of what is, with lots of hard work from the FOPR a top park.

I didnt go to the play area...just went to the lake part and the one o clock club, my little man kept having his toys taken away by a right little madam and her buddies ( she was only about 3 but has made it clear it was her 'turf' and the rest of the little kiddies were her ghetto buddies!) I had to tell her many times to play nicely. The grandparents could not even control her. I can see throwing stones at the number 12 buses in the future!>:D<

What made me laugh was there was a mum there, she kept grabbing the toys her daughter kept attempting to put in her mouth and was wiping all the toys with a wet wipe and grimacing at the same time!

To be fair, I didnt really give the club a proper chance, the people who worked there seems nice, just they could do with more nicer toys, and the kids could do with supernanny...anyone got a spare naughty stair?

Saying that the kids in Dulwich park can be little monsters, my niece and nephew have been bullied by a few little kiddies in the park who liked to push and shove to get on the slides/swings! I tend to tell the parents off!

Spangles30 Wrote:

> Yes Jessie. It IS a nice park. I much prefer it to

> Dulwich Park which is over-run with privately

> educated kiddies and their rather older yummified

> mothers. Sorry to be derogatory but it is true.

>

> People in Peckham Rye Prk tend to be more down to

> earth, and friendly to boot. Plus it's a lovely

> park. The play area is fine, and the One O clock

> club is a real find. Thank God it's not in Dulwich

> Park!

How on earth can you make such a ridiculous generalisation?

Heidihi Said:

"Saying that the kids in Dulwich park can be little monsters, my niece and nephew have been bullied by a few little kiddies in the park who liked to push and shove to get on the slides/swings! I tend to tell the parents off!"

Ditto to you too, as you point out, kids can be monsters anywhere.

By the way - as a nanny you ought to be aware that at around age 3 children start to develop a sense of ownership and posession which is what causes them to take toys off each other. It's got nothing to do with upbringing rather a developmental process.

HeidiHi Wrote:

> I didnt go to the play area...just went to the

> lake part and the one o clock club, my little man

> kept having his toys taken away by a right little

> madam and her buddies ( she was only about 3 but

> has made it clear it was her 'turf' and the rest

> of the little kiddies were her ghetto buddies!) I

> had to tell her many times to play nicely. The

> grandparents could not even control her. I can see

> throwing stones at the number 12 buses in the

> future!>:D

> What made me laugh was there was a mum there, she

> kept grabbing the toys her daughter kept

> attempting to put in her mouth and was wiping all

> the toys with a wet wipe and grimacing at the same

> time!

>

> To be fair, I didnt really give the club a proper

> chance, the people who worked there seems nice,

> just they could do with more nicer toys, and the

> kids could do with supernanny...anyone got a spare

> naughty stair?

>

> Saying that the kids in Dulwich park can be little

> monsters, my niece and nephew have been bullied by

> a few little kiddies in the park who liked to push

> and shove to get on the slides/swings! I tend to

> tell the parents off!

Not the kids I look after, they share! None of this grabbing toys and giving evil looks!