Love songs for your babies...

gwod

Now I'm a parent, I find that some songs seem to be enitely relevant to how I feel about my children - in the same way as chart hits, when I was a teenager, seemed to be written specifically about my feelings. For example, at the moment, this

though cheesey, is exactly how I feel about my beautiful, pre -teenage daughter.

Are there any songs that make you a bit weak at the knees for your children...?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTa8U0Wa0q8

And not just because of the Christmas adverts...

"I don't have much money but boy if I did

I'd buy a big house where we both could live

If I was a sculptor, but then again, no

Or a man who makes potions in a travelling show

I know it's not much but it's the best I can do

My gift is my song and this one's for you

And you can tell everybody this is your song

It may be quite simple but now that it's done

I hope you don't mind

I hope you don't mind that I put down in words

How wonderful life is while you're in the world"

Me and DH are utterly skint, but we'd love to get an Ideal Family Home for Baby Baldock, because he deserves the best of the best of the best. This reminds me of when he was a teeny tiny newborn and would wail for hours; I sang ballads to him to calm him down and he'd stop wailing, would scratch and paw at my chest and look at me whilst I sang to him. It's been a funny and tough old year, but life truley IS wonderful now he's in our world :)

Hubbie put together a "chilled" playlist for us to play when E first arrived, only to find me in tears to this:

Could it be I'm falling in love

as it seemed to describe exactly how I felt (infact couldn't listen to it all the way through as started to well up again!!).

Even got set off in the middle of E's bath the other night by Eternal Flame coming on the radio :-$

I used to sing (in heavily inverted commas) 'Precious' by Annie Lennox to Briony when she was teeny. Even when she's being beastly, this song always turns me to absolute mush & I can't even think about the lyrics without blubbing - just typing this is setting me off...

Precious little angel

Take a look at what you've done

Well I thought my time was over

But it's only just begun

Precious little angel

You're my own sweet turtle dove

Won't you stay with us for ever

In a bundle full of love

I was lost until you came

Precious little angel

Won't you spread your light on me

I was locked up in the darkness

Now you've come to set me free

I was covered up with sadness

I was drowned in my own tears

I've been cynical and twisted

I've been bitter all these years

And wouldn't I run a thousand miles

To be with you

And wouldn't I run a thousand miles

To be with you

Precious little angel

Tell me how can it be true

That such a gift from heaven

Has been sent for me and you

Precious little angel

Don't you worry don't you cry

When this bad old world has crumbled

I'll be standing at your side

"Make you feel my love" always makes my hair stand on end, i'm sure it was written for me and my baby girl, especially:

When the evening shadows and the stars appear,

And there is no one there to dry your tears,

I could hold you for a million years

To make you feel my love.

I know you haven't made your mind up yet,

But I would never do you wrong.

I've known it from the moment that we met,

No doubt in my mind where you belong.

I'd go hungry; I'd go black and blue,

I'd go crawling down the avenue.

No, there's nothing that I wouldn't do

To make you feel my love.

I could make you happy, make your dreams come true.

Nothing that I wouldn't do.

Go to the ends of the Earth for you,

To make you feel my love

Zoe, Precious is one of mine too! Also 'Slipping through my fingers' by Abba - sorry if already posted can't follow all the links from my phone. It makes me cry every time I listen to it......Loving this thread, was going to share a couple of poems my Mum wrote, one after each daughter was born - will dig them out later....

Edited to add....ahhh Gwod, well done, posted the link to the exact song just moments before I wrote this!

Oh bugger, just clicked on the abba link, and dripped tears from the opening bars - right into my baked beans too! Sillygirl is nearly 15 and I can hardly bear it. Sniff, sniff. Have sent her the link to gwod's first post saying 'from me to you'.

I used to sing her Mamas & Papa's 'dream a little dream' when she was tiny so that's sort of 'our song'. My friends boy had a very tough few years during his early teens and this song

always used to remind me of how strongly she felt about him and also a bit how I feel about my own monosyllabic teenage sillyboy.

Is it right that 'Angel' was the song Annie Lennox wrote to her second daughter after her first was stillborn?

It's so frustrating to only get part way through a song before your throat closes and the tears start isn't it - there's a few books that do that to me as well 'Once there were Giants' by Penny Waddell being the one that springs to mind - just cannot get through it. Motherhood has made me so much more pathetic than I used to be.

LOL, well the Abba song does that strange thing to me, where I'm smiling with joy, and crying (if not sobbing) all at once, which is totally bizarre. Such joy having children, combined with such terror as you watch them growing up and know you just can't protect them, or stop them making a fair few of the same mistakes you did yourself....

Here are the poems my lovely Mum wrote after each of my girls was born;

O's Poem;

I gazed at you with love

Your eyes responded

Unfocused, all seeing

The milky bubbles frothed

On blistered, rosebud lips

Pink petalled hands padding

Catlike at my breast

These things I remember

My daughter. My love.

C's Poem entitled "A long wait" (we had a hard time during the 3 years prior

to having C as I think most on here know - hence the

references to fear/grieving etc.)

Nine months of waiting

Fortyone weeks of hope, and dread

Fearful always of fates untimely blow

But now, instead.....

This tiny girl

Miniature fingers unfurling

To clasp your heart

To bind forever with the silken thread

of love. In such a simple way

The years of hoping, grieving, loss, regrets

Vanish like smoke

As skin to skin the precious bond is set.

These mean so much to me, and I think actually O's poem has great duality as it was written after Mum saw me give birth, but also because of the memories it brought back to her of when I was born.

Mine is probably popular with a lot of parents but its:

The first time ever I saw your face

I thought the sun rose in your eyes

And the moon and the stars were the gifts you gave

To the dark and the empty skies

The first time ever I kissed your mouth

I felt the earth move in my hands

Like the trembling heart of a captive bird

That was there at my command my love

The first time ever I lay with you

I felt your heart so close to mine

And I knew our joy would fill the Earth

And last, and last, and last till the end of time

The first time ever I saw your face.

And I did absolutely love him when I first saw his little face on the monitor when I had my scan. He had funny little ways even in the womb and I remember thinking " This baby is my son, I am going to be his mummy" and it was the best feeling ever.

I love him so much that I even steal kisses from him when he is sleeping, he is just SO adorable....well, got to make the most of it before the terrible twos hit!

Well I'm weeping & I haven't even clicked on any links yet! Am lying next to my lovely girl having just sung her back to sleep for probably the 400th time in her 16months. I don't really have a song for her, most of the above set me off though. I do think that in becoming a mother you lose a layer of skin which never grows back, my emotions are so much rawer than they used to be, probably because I give so much of myself to her. Molly your mum's poems are beautiful, what a wonderful gift from her to you.

How about this one

My husband and I have sung it to all the children at one time or another - Its a real case of romantic lyrics being entirely fitting parental love.

The opening lyrics are perfect.

"The night we met I knew I'd needed you so,

And if I had the chance I'd never let you go"

(Also its good and repetitive in the middle section which has been very useful over the years for sleep deprived distraction!)

Excellent choice Prm, I'd forgotten about Come What May, I dare not click on link as it's very likely to reduce me to tears. Also Steph's Precious Little Diamond is lyrically perfect, but has the added dimension of the crazy 80' pop spectatcular that is the video - it made me warm and fuzzy and laugh at the same time!