Bessemer Grange rated 'Good' in recent Ofsted Report...

Cora

Hooray for Bessemer Grange Primary School for their recent glowing ofsted report, citing 'Good' in all categories.

Highlights were:

- Pupils' development of creative skills is a continuing strength

- The breakfast club provides a safe and stimulating environment

- Levels reached by both boys and girls in mathematics in 2010 were above the national average

- Pupils relate well to one another and to teachers and other adults. They enjoy lessons, and take part wholeheartedly in whole-class and small group discussions.

- Pupils are courteous and considerate...In assemblies, they take pride in others' achievements as well as in their own

- Pupils' experience of taking on responsibility and of working cooperatively, as well as the progress they make in their grasp of basic skills, ensures that they are well prepared for the next stage of their education and for their future working lives

-Teachers are expert in and enthusiastic about their subjects and have high expectations of pupils in terms of both work and behaviour

- Parents and carers confirm that teachers are approachable and respond quickly and effectively to any concerns they may have

- Leaders at all levels are passionate about improving outcomes for pupils

As their prospectus states 'Southwarks' best kept secret'......I'm guessing not for much longer!!

WELL DONE X

What's particularly gratifying is that council School Improvement Partners (council officers) predicted this from the work they'd been doing with the school. I met the head last year and she impressed me.

Great result for all the hard work of kids, parents, governors, teachers, support staff, council officers and the head and her management team.

• 2 years later...

Well, not everybody agrees with you.

I have heard of children escaping school, teachers intimidating and shouting at children, parents being bullied for confronting the school about health and safety and others concerns. This school needs a proper inspection from Ofsted.

As a parent with a child at Bessemer your comments really amaze me rmarti - it doesn't sound like you have first hand experience of the school so it's a bit puzzling that you have responded now to a 2011 thread giving no context or timeframe to your allegations. I've certainly never seen or heard of anything like that at the school but as Cora says if you have any recent evidence it would be better to write to the school and/or Southwark/Ofsted.

What a bizarre and vague first post rmarti and one that seems to be based on hearsay.

I have a child at Bessemer, we are both incredibly happy with the school, my older children went to an ED primary school and Bessemer is the better school for us, we won't hessitate to send our youngest there too.