Child reins - Are you treating your little one like a dog?

Otta

I'm skiving off this morning, and just watched "The Wright Stuff", where they discussed baby reins making a comeback. They quoted someone (I didn't hear the name) as saying something like "it's like putting them on a leash like a dog. You wouldn't let them poo in the street, so why make them wear a leash".

Now, my opinion is, that whoever said that, is a total moron, who is kind of missing the point in every way imaginable.

We've not used them yet, but will if the need arises. I know the little one probably won't like them that much (I can actually remember hating them when I was very small), but I'd rather that, than have to have her in the buggy all the time, to stop her running in to danger!

I don't really think kids should still be in reins, aged 4, but by that stage, they can have an understanding of danger. Until that understanding is there, then surely it's better to lay it safe.

So, do I think my child is a dog, should I start putting her food in a bowl, and buy her a basket to sleep in?

I like the idea of the back packs too..

I must admit that BEFORE I had kids I didn't like the idea of reins, not that I thought they were treating the kids like dogs but it did look strange. Now I would have no hesitation using them should the need arise, as safety is first and foremost.

we did have a little life back pack. we thought it was cute, Moosling hated it. Ho hum, he wore it anyway. But quite quickly we found it better to train him (woof woof) to hold hands and start to be road aware. Now not far off 4 he's quite sensible and though rather naughty in many ways and not a great listener (what do we expect, he's 3), will stop instantly when we yell Stoooooooooop! in the street.

My son has a back pack, and until he learns that roads are dangerous, which at 3.5 he still hasn't learned, he'll continue to wear it whether he likes it or not. My dog also doesn't listen to me so she'll continue to have a lead.

I've never tested this theory, but I reckon I prefer them both when they are alive. And I don't give a tiny rat's arse whether anyone else is offended.

I have to agree, I prefer my determined, independent, strong willed 18 month old daughter where I can see her when it comes to being out and about. I have bought a little life backpack but am battling for her to wear it (even as a bag without the strap attached) at home, never mind when we go out. But she takes after me, and so I won't give up just yet!

I think any one who makes that kind of comment and compares using reins to having a dog on a lead is definitely not a parent!

We all have experience of that dreaded time they hit 3 or 4 and decide that running towards a main road with you chasing them and screaming is a great game and is worth repeating every day!

Yes, I agree with Helen, it doesn't matter what people think, it's what is right for you and your children.

Strangers always find something to moan about! whether it's not putting enough layers on your kids or putting them in 'reins'.

We have one of those Little Life packs for S, and he loves it actually. We don't have to 'rein him in' that much (yet) and when we go for walks, he always finds a bit of treasure (usually a stone) which he demands I put in the bag bit for later on. He also once found a fiver on the floor of Nandos in Bluewater when wearing it ;)