Taxi company with baby seats?? Help!

Hi trusty forum!

Anyone know of a local cab company that has baby car seats?

I have to get a taxi to Kings Cross station tomorrow morning and last time I needed a cab as a last min thing I had to travel with my four month old on my knee, which unnerved me.

I'm told that taxis are not required to have car seats for babies now and as I don't have a travel system for my buggy (as we don't have a car at the mo and rarely need one) do I just have to risk him on my lap with the seat belt around us both?

Does anyone have any advice?

Similar dilemma - first baby due shortly, but no car so no car seat (thinking of trip back from hospital). I rang all taxis in Camberwell - none of them provide baby seats. The don't legally need to so none of them do given the expense involved I suppose. I also tried Addison Lee, and your right, they don't either.

I think its buggy on the bus, or baby on your knee in a cab.

another option might be to use your own or borrow one, and ask the driver if he/she could drop it back at your house or a neighbours house afterwards, probably for extra cost.

we did this last year because we did not want to have a toddler and a four month old baby without seats in a cab in the snow

Addison Lee stopped doing child seats, most annoying! Have used a taxi company that advertised on here and they provided seats and turned up on time, good service etc. I think called dulwich airport cars. Sorry don't have details but google or search on here.

Are you taking your buggy? the alternative would be to call a black cab and take baby in buggy - safer than on knee, and I believe in some you can strap into the wheelchair bit, though haven't tried this myself. Comcabs is one i can think of.

ps is a bloody pain Addison lee stopped doing it - though was only booster seat for age 1 and up. Annoyingly I think it's to do with the make of car the booster seat was built into, and them not using that model anymore.

Thanks everyone....I'm going to call Green Tomatoes in a min, had never heard of them! Thanks veryseriousgirl.

Audrey - It's still worth getting a car seat and my advice is get one that fits onto your buggy if you can. We bought one from the forum for the journey back from hospital - husband just bought it with him when he came to get us. Now, even though I don't have a car, I wish I had bought one for the buggy as I would not be having this issue. Could simply pop him in car and then clip him in buggy wheels the other end. I'm going to get one.

Thanks everyone....safe travels!

Thanks Sally - you're probably right, my head is just wreaked at the moment though with the whole 'do I have everything'.... I seem to be unable to face any more research! Maybe tomorrow after another monster sleep like last night!

I often use the cab office near Honor Oak Station & they always have their car seat available (I believe they have one for infants and one for toddlers). I used them last week so no doubt they still have them.

Their number is 020 8291 7744.

Best wishes,

BC

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Rye Cars are still the solution - friends

with 2 small children need picking up from

Eurostar and bringing to east dulwich. Rye quoted

?20.00 and can provide car seats. Keen quoted over ?30

, don't have car seats and wanted to charge

substantially extra to pick up a car seat from us,

and same charge would apply if we dropped