Clubs/groups/activities suitable for a toddler and newborn.

My daughter is 16 months old and son 4 weeks, have come to conclusion that I need to be going somewhere every day with them both to keep both of them happy and me sane!

Which groups locally can I take both baby and toddler to which ideally are contained and will amuse / tire out toddler whilst allowing me to feed baby etc as required. My daughter plays up when I feed him so ideally something where her attention will be on something other than her brother being b/f.

Thank you :-)

PR 1 o clock club, All Saints playgroup, Coppleston playgroup, Rye Oak bookstart (if you can get in), libraries (when toddler wants to read rather than trash the place), Goose Green playgroup (thurs am) again get there early, music class with stay and play afterwards on Mon am at All Fired Up. did all these with my 2 - V. active toddler and breastfeeding baby. TBH nothing is going to be easy but at least they are contained and there's always people in the same boat x

We've managed the copleston playgroup and the monday playgroup at St Faiths....and the parks so far. My 2 yr old is a real escape artist so I haven't braved anything else yet! Trying CP 1 O'Clock club tomorrow and thought I might try Ruby Rhymes one week...although that might mess up baby's sleep.

Rhyme time at the Library is good on a Wed morning (11-1130), however, getting a seat is really difficult = I'd say it's easier for a pregnant woman to get a seat on public transport than to get the parents/carers who could stand or even sit on the floor with their children, to give up their seat (I'm over it now as bugglet can sit unaided/go the duration without a feed).

Think could be especially good for you (with your toddler) as it's a reasonably small area so even if s/he's not by your side, s/he can't be too far away.

I have panic attacks when I remember my one and only rhyme time experience with a 15m old - he ran round the room pulling books off shelves and flinging them in his wake..and it was so busy I couldn't get to him, so just sat and pretended he belonged to someone else....

Oh sb!! Am sure he wasn't the only one! Can imagine I'd feel the same and can imagine it'd put me off :(

There is a more toddler based thing on a Thurs which might be good to try too - don't know much about it as I turned up with bugglet when she was only about 8wks thinking it was rhyme time!

Thanks for all the suggestions, think I will work out a plan of action for next week :-)

Where is the Copleston playgroup, All Saints playgroup and Rye Oak book club?

What time does the Goose Green playgroup start? is it in the church hall where bumps and babes is held?

SB your comment re Rhyme Time made me chuckle, I've not been there for ages but hate to think the havoc I could cause.

What is the outdoor playgroup like at Warwick Gardens? Is it weather permitting and is it enclosed?

I didn't realise how much there is that is suitable for both babies and toddlers, I need ti try out the PR one o'clock club and once driving again get going to the Crystal Palace one. Are they both on every day?

Hi Clare,

I run Music for Little People classes on Wednesdays in the Goose Green Centre on East Dulwich Rd, with a 2-5 year class at 1.15pm followed by a 0-2 year class at 2.15pm. The classes are very friendly and relaxed and I'm always very happy to help out (as are all the other mums/nannies) if you need a bit of extra support at times! Please call me on 0208 852 0118 for more info or to book a free taster session. Best wishes, Becky Vicary. P.S. Here are a few kind words from one of my mums: Rachael says (June 2010, East Dulwich class) Don?t go anywhere else!! Becky is just fantastic; not only does she have a sublime singing voice and engaging acting talent (she?s a properly trained professional) but she is ebullient and warm ? without fail, every week! She never ?phones it in? and all the children absolutely adore her because she engages with and encourages, each and every one of them, at every session. We have been going for two years now and my son has flourished in her classes, learning all about music through singing, dance, storytelling, rhythm play, listening, instruments, puppetry and more, without being aware for a second that he's learning at all. It is such good fun, it's the highlight of our week. I cannot recommend Music For Little People highly enough. I would encourage you to try a taster session and find out for yourself how excellent it is.

• 2 months later...
Resurrecting this thread; Does Anyone know what's running during the summer? Is copleston playgroup/ goose green toddler group running through the summer? I have found myself in posession of 1 x 20 month old "spirited" toddlerboy and 1 x 3wk old grunting, snorting, piglet/newborn. We get cabin fever if we have a "quiet day at home", etc.

• 4 weeks later...

hello,

i was about to start a new thread about saturday/sunday play groups or activities for a *very* active toddler, hopefully this thread will be able to help me??

...... I am getting very tired of the goose green playground/ dulwich park/ sydenham woods trio

At the w/e it's my turn to look after our son whilst his mum gets a well deserved break

any play group will do - sport or otherwise & dont mind paying. - your help pls????