Help with stair gates

sanity girl

I need to get some stair gates as baby is so mobile now but I am at a loss as to what to choose - I have very awkward stairs (very wide openings, narrow metal railings with no obvious fixing point). Does anyone know of somebody who can advise on this? It's hard to tell looking at the extendable stairgates online whether they would work or not. Cheers!

SG

We have just been through this with ours

The stairs are no use so I just used the door frames of the rooms on the relevant floors. The way the house is laid out means this isn't a problem for us but if you need to have access to several rooms on one floor at all times it might be trickier

The extendable gates couldn't possibly be any tighter and are very secure.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure that will work for us as I need to let my kids have free roam of each floor while I do stuff (they'd go bonkers otherwise!). I think possibly the lascal retractable stairgate will work - need to measure. Otherwise I will have to stick with dragging heavy baskets etc across the gaps!

We use the lascal ones and they have to be screwed into something - for us it's into the wooden stair post and the opposite wall. I like them because there is no frame to trip over and one size sort of fits all stair openings. Are your stairs made of metal? Maybe they can still be used if there is a post wide enough. I've also seen people use those babydan playpens that open up and you can block off the stairs, but not sure if they could be pulled over if baby was climbing.