Before school / after school childcare

byngo

Hi

I need to decide whether or not to go back to work in the next year so was just interested to hear how other people manage it and what the cost is. I would be looking for someone to come to our house in the early morning to help get my girls ready for school / nursery and then drop them off and then pick them up after school / nursery and stay with them until I got home around 1630 as I plan to go to work early and return early. I'd like my girls to be at home after school ideally as I think school is a long day and I'd like for them to come home. Is that a service that is available and how much do people usually charge? Thanks

Not sure how much someone would charge for this service as you describe (if anyone would do it) but as I've just gone back to work myself, I wanted to say how well my son has settled into Breakfast and After School clubs at his school. I was also worried about the long day, but he absolutely loves it!! They do lots of activities, he gets to see/meet more children from other years (and the bigger ones help to look after the infants).

My 1 year old goes to a nursery for the full-ish day (depending on when DH gets them dropped off :) ) It is harder on her I think, but it sounds like you'd be able to get them both in time to come home for teatime.

Cost wise, my school clubs are ?2.50 for Breakfast and ?8.00 for ASC per day. At that price, even if you just used the ASC for an hour, it would be good value.

Juggling the school hols is something I'm yet to trial! Good luck with whatever you decide.

its really hard to get someone to travel to your house for an hour here and there. i ended up taking mine to school and then getting a cleaner/housekeeper/carer to come at 2pm clean for 1.15 hours and then to pick up and stay for 2 hours-you can understand their position, this is the stage wehre if you have an au pair or a friedn has an aupair she under-utilises it can work very well for you. good luck with it.

The kind of childcare you describe is an au pair. The other options are after and pre school clubs, or a childminder (go to their house though) or a nanny - and a nanny would be looking for a full time job not just those hours. Possible you could find a nanny share - but those hours you describe are the golden hours everyone wants childcare for. I work part time and do all the school runs. Good luck.