Ducks/dulwich prep (dcps)

nymom

I have my son down to possibly start reception in both schools for 2012. I am trying to decide what will be the right environment for my son. He is very energetic, sporty, and always on the go. I was recently made aware that some students started dulwich prep reception after going to the nursery in ducks, and I just wondered why parents made the choice to leave one school for the other. He hasn't been offered a place in either school yet, but on the off chance we get offers from both I am interested in hearing from parents that made a similar decision. thanks.

I am also trying to weigh up the benefits of having my almost one year old daughter in the same school. At dcps she can do that for nursery but then I would need to move her and rely on the 4+ assessments. I am pretty confident she would have a place at ducks. I really loved ducks on the visit I made but that was three years ago so perhaps I should look around again to make a more direct comparison. Thanks for the pm's I have received so far as well. I appreciate any feedback good or bad that people have to offer.

• 1 year later...

Just came across this old thread and wondered if anyone had anything to add. Our 3yr old is at DUCKS kindergarten at the moment and has a place at DUCKS infant school which we have to accept by the end of the month. He is doing the assessment for Dulwich Prep London in December so we are trying to decide which one would suit him best.

I had seen DPL a while back and had always liked it but having met with the teachers of DUCKS infant school today, also really like their style. So difficult to choose.

I'm learning that this is quite a common dilemma - the DUCKS vs. DPL thing. If you've gone through it and can share your experience via PMs or by adding to this thread, I would be very grateful.

I don't know anything about Ducks/Dulwich Prep but reading your post it seems you are happy with where your son is at the moment? Why worry when he is only 3 years old?

Reading your post it seems these two schools are in competition with each other?

Reading an earlier post about the Villa in Camberwell, I suppose you have to accept the post at Ducks by the end of the month or lose a hefty deposit?

Please let us know.

Hi Minder,

Yes, there is the deposit issue - we were told yesterday that we have to accept the place at DUCKS by the end of the month and pay a non-refundable deposit. Dulwich Prep assessment isn't until Dec so the headache.

Although son is happy in DUCKS kindergarten, the infant school is a separate establishment in a separate building, so whilst transition could be easier as they are close by and he would have a chance to meet the teachers beforehand, etc., it won't be like moving up a room in nursery for instance.

The other thing that I need to get my head round is the fact that if he goes to DUCKS, he has to do the 7+ assessment which, I hear, can be very stressful. Seems such a young age (unlike the assessment due in Dec which is more a play date). If he goes to Dulwich Prep, he will be there until 11.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

I have a child at DUCKS who has been there since the nursery. In just over a year we sit the dreaded 7+ and as my child is young for the year he will take it at 6 yrs 5 months old. As I understand it the grade required for entry into the Junior school is very high and even though you could argue they are preparing them for 7+/entry into the Junior school there is no guarantee at all they will get into DC Junior school (in fact even if a child has a sibling or two or three at DC) there is still no guarantee. I think the 7+ is a LOT of stress for children so young and probably if I hadn't liked the look of DUCKS so much when I visited it I would have put him into a school that didn't have the 7+. In my opinion, DUCKS is a good school but we have seen quite a lot of children in the 3 years my son has been there depart for Dulwich Prep (and other schools).

Hope that's useful, good luck with your decision.

I can't give an opinion of DUCKS but my son is now in reception at DPL having started in the Nursery and my daughter started Nursery at DPL this year. I have nothing but amazing things to say about it. So nurturing, caring and also encouraging. Last year in my son's nursery class I helped out 2 hours every Tuesday afternoon and it was just wonderful seeing first hand how they taught and had fun. I loved that the children that were maybe a bit shy were encouraged to come out of themselves (but in their own time) and then in turn the kids who were naturally boisterous and maybe a bit full on were encouraged to slow down and think about their actions.

Honestly, there's so much I could say and all of them good. Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have any specific questions.

And yes for us there was a big plus point that he could be there until 13 if we so wished.

Good luck with your decision

Since I had started the thread I thought I would offer an update. We ended up choosing Dulwich Prep. My son absolutely loves it. He is really thriving and the atmosphere is nurturing and supportive. He is excited to go to school everyday, and he is very shy so I had been worried. My daughter goes to the Ducks kindergarten and she really loves it there, so I can understand the dilemma. It would have been easier for me to drop off at one school, but I don't regret the decision. I didn't want him to deal with the 7+ if he didn't have to. I didn't dislike the Ducks reception at all, in fact I liked it. But overall I am so happy he is in Dulwich Prep and if you want to know more please feel free to pm me.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

Interesting everyone's views on the 7+ proceess, it is more stressful for the parents then the children often parents put a lot of pressure on the children too (sadly). Not all children are ready at the 4+ stage and often progress into the next stages and stuggle later on. Year 2 and then year 6 you have more of an idea if your child will cope at a certain school, parents get so hell bent with sending thier child to a certain school they miss that actully the school might not be suited to that child. The hot favourites are JAPS middle school and DPL but these are really only for the super hard confident kids. DUCKS gives the children a nice gentle start if you can hold your nerve!

• 8 months later...

My son is currently a yr3 student at a state school and he has been accepted by DPL for year4 entry (with scholarship) in this Sept2014. There were 2 assessments, the 1st one was the normal maths, english and nonverbal test together with a fun lego team game(with other prospect students), 2nd one was about the math IQ question and followed by the headteacher-parents chat and lastly a home visit (or skype meeting), all these assessment were held in different time and day.

It may sound very difficult at first but in actual fact it wasn't at all. Neither did I have any expectation from my son nor the school. My son had no idea what this assessment was about, he wasn't under any pressure and he only treated it like a fun day.

I believe as long as you provide a positive, loving and healthy learning environment to your child from young, your child will have no problem with any assessment at any school.

Good luck.