Temp in babies room

Susan

Sorry this was discussed a few weeks ago but cant find thread! A few of you recommended getting a thermostat controlled heater which will come on when room drops below a certain temperature i.e. 17oC (my LO s room has been 15oC by morning the last few nights!). Anyways we bought a Delonghi oil filled heater, essentially this one below

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4150482/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+and+furniture%7C14417894/c_2/2%7C14417894%7CHeaters+and+radiators%7C14417957/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417957%7COil+filled+radiators%7C14417968.htm

However it really smells oily every time we put it on, I have been using it in the kitchen all week to see if the smell will go. Has anyone else had this problem,,any solutions?

and would you worry about using it in LOs bedroom

Thanks

Susan

When we bought an oil filled radiator there was an instruction to turn it on its highest temperature for X number of hours (can't remember) before starting using it. It smelled really oily, stayed away from it, but it worked. Now it doesn't smell anymore.

• 11 months later...

Saila Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> we bought one of these for the same reason

>

> then we got the electricity bill which was 4

> figures...

>

> never again

>

> so we now use 2x 2.5tog sleeping bags, a blanket,

> quilt and tights/pjs

Wow! Considering getting one of these for our loft this winter, but maybe not if it would explode our electricity bill. How much was your radiator running? All night, or just a few hours?

We have one for our daughter's room which gets really cold compared to the rest of the house - we find it's really efficient (if I set the thermostat to 14, it heats her room to about 18). Also on a timer (one of those that you plug into the socket, then plug the radiator in). We haven't noticed any huge increase in energy bills ourselves...

can't you just have the heating come on in her room in the morning? We turn Miss Oi's radiator off (if it's been on at all) at her bedtime but before we go to bed I switch it back on so that when the heating goes on in the morning her room will heat up. If you make sure she has enough layers on and perhaps a blanket she'll be fine - last winter Miss Oi would be in a long sleeved vest, sleepsuit or PJs, 2.5 tog sleeping bag and maybe a blanket - but that was in the depths of winter. If you read the guide that comes with the sleeping bags (well, with John Lewis ones at any rate) you'll see that really being cold isn't a problem, it's overheating you need to worry about.

That wouldn't really work for our loft unfortunately. We'd have to turn off all the rest of the central rads in the house and leave on only the rad in the loft! The problem is that the loft is regularly used (though it's not Little Saff's room) and needs heat at times when the rest of the house is fine. We'd like to give the loft some extra heating to make it nicer, as we can't do much about the (lack of) insulation b/c it's a rental house. Last year we ran the central heating all the time, but it was really expensive. We can live with the downstairs being a little cooler to save money, but that means the loft is unbearable. We were thinking about getting a similar portable rad, until I reread this post!! Although, maybe it would be fine if we ran it sparingly?

If it's a portable rad which tops up the temperature only when it dips below a pre-set number then it really shouldn't cost that much more

Our central heating is off the whole night and the baby's room can get freezing in winter - but we got one of the thermostat radiators last year and there wasn't that much of an uptick in bills

We used heater all last winter in sons bedroom and noticed no effect om electricity bill. As previous poster said it just was set to take the room from very low teens to 17-18oc during the night. Can be set on thermostat so seems pretty energy efficient to me.

Might be different if you use all day. Lots of reviews can be found online

Slightly off topic, but we have done the experiment of heating always on vs heating on at certain times and we found that having the radiators on very low round the clock kept yhe house warm (19-20C) and did not increase our bills. Tis also was handy as LO was at crawling stage so there was no risk of him burning his little fingers. Te temp woukd dip down a bit at night anyway, but never too low.