Lego: how do you store your's?

Goodliz

A friend of mine stored hers in a big old sheet which she put down on the floor, opened up and then the lego was played with on the sheet. When you've finished you just gather up the corners of the sheet and secure somehow. Involves the least amount of picking up...

That box is great!

We have a couple of strategies.....

The basic bits and bobs are in two bins, one for smaller bits and one for bigger bits.

The sets are trickier as you kind of need to keep them together. We use extra large freezer bags and immediately dump the set in that once opened. I also put the little instruction book and (don't laugh) I cut out one side of the box and put it in the bag as well. You would be amazed how often we look back at the picture from the box as a reminder of what it's supposed to look like!

I find that once it all gets mixed up it's a lost cause.

Hope that helps.......

This is the one I'm going to get:

http://www.box4blox.com/

It comes from the US, postage is pretty steep, but for an anally retentive neat freak like myself this is better than chocolate :)

GSJ57 & Helena Handbasket, love your work... I too am a cut it out and stick it on person.

Lego is the one toy type that threatens to drive me insane.

I. Will. Not. Let. It. Beat. Me.

Ha, Pickle I thought the same thing but then decided I was crazy! It's the eyebrows and intense, focused stare.

"Clean up your Lego, little kid."

We haven't got much proper Lego yet but it's growing, so watching with interest. We keep Duplo in one of those deep IKEA hanging storage buckets, my son's room is largely furnished with them.

When I was a child I kept my Lego in a big shallow bucket/tray... I kind of thought mixing it all up was sort of the point? But can definitely see the appeal of tidy, unlost toys...mmmm.

lol I am forever saying if its still on the floor when the hovver comes out its a gonna...we use a trolley that has draws...its very tidy at the mo as I have just spent sunday afternoon sorting it wheels,windows,figures,colours etc I was very pleased with myself, however this lasted all of 1 day came home last night to find the entire contents distrubuted througout the house....Out came Henry!!

Im having issues with PLAYMOBILE...dam them and their tiny but perfectly formed accessories

Oh yes, Playmobile is equally as annoying. I've long since given up the fight regarding accessories being with the correct vehicle etc. Of all the different Playmobile toys we have, the fire engine is by far the worst with it's collection of tiny axes etc. When I do my re-organisation (once kids are back at school so they can't "supervise") I plan to have a box where all Playmobile bits can live in happy harmony, regardless of what set they belong to.

oh pickle I agree the fire station is a nightmare although the police station comes a close2nd! the Xmas lists are already prepared and I have explained that I missed the cut off date for the playmobile animal hospital!!! just could not face the challange!

We have a little lego trebuchet, only about three inches tall, that is without a doubt the winner of the bare feet torture award. You know in the Exorcist when her head spins around and she yells the unladylike stuff at the priest? That's me stepping on the trebuchet. It has wheels too, just to add a little extra kick.

And lego injuries are usually followed by the tantrum of a child who just spent the last hour building the thing you just stepped on and broke, so that's fun too.

For playmobil we use a toolbox - same use as Etta with regards to the little compartments and then large section beneath and so far so good but being only just 4 we don't have a huge amount.

With regards to lego - i've got no idea. At the moment he's got loads of loose stuff kept in big storage box and then all the smaller sets are kept separately but that's cos i'm doing them with him at the moment so i'm able to keep them separate however what happens when he gets to the stage when he can do it all himself, i don't think there's a hope in hell of keeping all the bits separately.

Any solutions on a postcard please :)

• 3 weeks later...