moving family with husbands job??

hoppermum

Evening all,

I've changed my name so I can't be identified in RL so apologies for the secrecy!

My husband has had an opportunity to move to Istanbul for a year or two with work and we're currently exploring our options. We'd be well looked after with a villa / pool / driver / maid provided and great work prospects for my husband but we've recently had a baby and I'm concerned about what life would be like for me and little hopper (she'll be 7 months old when we move)

Does anyone have any experience of expat life in Istanbul? The move wouldn't be until the Spring but I'm trying to get as much information as possible to help make the decision!!

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to reply to this message when I first saw it, so apologies for the delay. I don't know Istanbul at all, but my parents relocated (from the UK to Oz) when my sister and I were little, and it gave our whole family an amazing experience, which I feel has really opened my eyes to the possibility of living in new places.

In my opinion, I think a 'looked after' move like the one you've been offered - secure job, relocation package etc - has got to be the most amazing gift: To be able to experience a whole new life as a resident rather than a tourist, but with zero risk,relocation assistance and you can come back if it doesn't work out.

I'd love to do this, and see relocating en famille as so much more practical than as a single person or a couple - kids seem to make it so much easier to network and tap into a community...

Plus, Istanbul sounds like a fabulous city - a real hotspot right now, full of creative people, fabulous places to eat (Turkish food is amazing, and Turkish wine is also enjoying a renaissance), gateway to the East, daytripping to Cesme and Alacati for beach action, to Ephesus for culture, or even down to the Bodrum Peninsula for glam gulet cruising.. think of the sunshine!

I'd jump at the chance if I were you - surely the old adage applies: you'll never regret what you do, only what you don't do....

Hiya,

A really good friend of mine just moved to Pakistan with work- similar situation, just for a couple of years etc and he was really nervous about settling in and the move etc. However, since he's moved all i've heard has been praise about how fantastic the expat community are, how easy its been to settle in and how well adjusted all the kids are. Also, a friend of mine at uni went to the British international school in Istanbul and loved it- she even stayed there when her family were posted to somewhere a bit further away!

Hope that helps!

Hello,

I can give you my feeling compare to our current expat experience.We are a French family, expat for my husband job since a bit more than year(the contract is for 4 years)

It's a a GREAT and RICH experience for all the family. What a nice experience for children to discover different culture, different language speaking, and to be open minded on the world around! we arrived in the UK when my son was 9 months old. So young, he didn't take huge time to feel confortable with the english speaking.Children are so flexible clever,and they are like " a sponge" to integrate a foreign speaking language!

BUT.

the expat life is not without difficulties sometimes! even if the project will often make your friends "jealous" by the nice opportunity to change your life, to live a nice, not common experience(something funny behind, exotic etc).

First, it depend if you have to quit your job or no. If you had a nice job here, if you are a "career" women, think about how you could feel confortable or not to stay home alone with children with no friends for the first weeks, or few months).When you can't understand what people say around you, it could be stressful. (especially when you have children and fear not be able to be understood by emergency services in case of accident, even a not too serious).It can be weird to not have family support around , to loose local good friends contacts (but if they are your best firends, they will keep iin touch with you wherever you will go in your life!)etc..

Secondly, it depend of your husband contract...if it will be a local or an Expat contract (with a lot of advantages, wich can give you the life better, espacially when it's an expatriation in a expensive city like London with crazy prices for children caring, schools, houses etc).

We have friends who are expat in Istanbul since 2 years for the same company than my husband . The women enjoys it but tell me that even if a lot of people speak english, you have to speak Turquish to be integrated, to find a job, for the day to day life (shops, supermarket, etc). So check if your husband company offers a language learning package for the WHOLE famlily before and after the move.And very often it's easy to find differents clubs or organisations of your community to meet others English expats there if "you miss your roots." but it's so nice to meet local people also.

I could speak pages about expatriation, as it's my current life.

I love it, even if I had to make a lot of compromises on my professionnal life.

If you need more informations, please feel free to PM me or if you want to discuss about it around a coffee.

Kind regards.

Val?rie