thrush - any experience of how long it lasts?

nikki73

3 week old has thrush and now I have too, ouch! Went to the gp on monday and was prescribed daktarin for both baby and me and canesten for nappy rash. I am confident this is right treatment. My daughter's thrush cleared within a day or so but mine seems to be getting worse. I am going to get capsules of acidophilus to see if that helps. If your baby and you have suffered from thrush, how long did it take to clear? I hear it can take a while but I did expect it to get better not worse.

Take Diflucan or a generic oral thrush treatment. You don't need to go back to the doctor, you can buy it over the counter.The pill clears any infection you might have in the anal passage which you could be passing back to yourself when you go to the loo. I speak as someone who has REPEATED thrush infections that are very resistant to treatment. Oh, and use canes tan thrush cream on yourself. It's stronger and more effective at reducing itching. I sincerely wish that this is the last time you experience this truly horrible infection.

Poor you Nikki73. I had thrush with both of my boys as a result of IV antibiotics during and after labour.

The first time I'm sorry to say it lasted 6 weeks as we kept passing it between us. It ws agony and really tainted my feelings towards bf'ding. In the end I was prescribed Fluconazole which finally cleared it up. The novogel circles were a God send too as they soothed my boobs between feeds.

With my second son, I caught it on day 1 and after a visit to Seldoc (it was a weekend) it cleared itself up within a week. Well done for persevering and you can get rid of it! If you need alternative advice from the GP Katy Fisher (lactation consultant) is fantastic and will offer advice and support.

I feel your pain. My little boy is 13 weeks old and we have only just got rid of thrush which I got after taking antibiotics for mastitis at 2 weeks (but he had Tongue tie which wasn't diagnosed/sorted until 10 weeks). I saw Claire Kedves (lactation consultant) at Kings and she suggested I print off the thrush leaflet from the breastfeeding network and take it to the GP.

http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/BfN_Thrush_leaflet_Feb_2009.pdf

After three courses of Fluconozole, daktarin cream for me and gel for my wee guy - it has eventually gone...

On the plus side, I would say that even though it didn't go away for ages, the intense pain did ease after the first course of Fluconozole.

I hope yours clears up much more quickly. Good luck... And congratulations on your new baby. :-)

I had fluconazole but not a high enough dose, I then had a higher dose plus some antibiotics - was using the novogel pads too. If it is resisting like mine then you just need to hit it hard. Anti-biotics made me feel awful but helped beat secondary infection. I took pro biotic capsules that I got from health matters on LL. X