Advice needed: slings for newborns

crystal7

Hello sling experts! I have a toddler and a 2 week old and my OH goes back to work next week- eek! I think a sling will be essential in the next few months for both inside and out! The problem is I have a few but they don't seem to be working...Have got a Lascal carrier. Basically a Bjorn which baby seems to like but I find a bit uncomfortable to wear tho easy to get on. Also have Moby wrap which I like but baby doesn't although I can only do it in the standard upright wrap. Plus I'm finding it tricky to get on without it dragging on the ground/baby screaming. I've got an Ergo but no newborn insert. Is it worth buying the insert? Should I keep trying the Moby? Or is there a sling suitable for newborns that's easy to get on and comfortable to wear?! Thanks..

My little one didn't seem to like the newborn insert, but I don't think I was very good at getting her into it. I love the Moby wrap, but did take a while to get the hang of newborn cradle position.

Emily at the South London Sling Library is lovely and can advise on all the different slings out there. You can also hire slings from her for ?5 (plus refundable deposit).

I used a Hugabub wrap sling for the first 6 months or so, daughter loved it. Takes a bit of practise but once you've mastered the wrapping it's super comfy for you and baby.

You're welcome to borrow it for a week if you'd like?

P x

I only used my ergo from about three months (without insert but padded with reuseable nappies, blankets - not sure how recommended but worked for my big baby!). Prior to that I used a bjorn originally (not recommended but was a good intro!) and then a moby wrap. Definitely recommend a stretchy like that or a Kari-me if you can persevere with a few different holds. I felt better (and therefore so did baby!) once I got my confidence up in wrapping and could do it completely on my own. I only did a few holds but there are loads of great demos on YouTube and think I've met Emily too - she'd be ideal as is a wrapping master!!

Using a moby with a newborn is something I really look forward to when I do have another baby as it's so lovely and snuggly, congrats!!

having the same dilemma - baby bjorn suits my refluxy baby but is not great on the back...bought a wallaboo (pouchy sling) but must be doing it wrong as baby looks contorted in it and is not happy. Currently trying a kind forumite's close sling but am just useless with wraps, even easy ones like that! thought had got it right, then looked in mirror and baby was in some odd perilous position!

are any of the stretchy wraps good for upright holds?

Do you have a sense whether baby likes upright or cradle position? If cradle, I really recommend the Coorie fleece pouch or the Baby K'Tan. If upright it may be worth persevering with the wrap a while longer. The Ergo insert didn't work for us but my baby preferred cradle position. From 4-5 months the Ergo was great without insert, though my favourite is now a Didymos woven wrap. Happy to lend my Coorie pouch for anyone to try. I do still use it for hip carries but not every day.

Seems like i need to try harder with the Moby- which i think is the same as the hugabub? Baby likes being cradled rather than held upright so maybe need to try that sort of hold. Have got instructions so will look. Belle the only hold i can do is an upright one so can show you how. I find it hard to do Moby tight enough and baby can get head out- need to practise clearly!

I have two newborn inserts for the ergo- the heart to heart (holds them in upright position) and one that sort of wraps around them and then they lie in the cradle hold. You are MORE than welcome to borrow both or either if you so wish; happy to drop off to you. Baby wearing is still a regular life saver with Lex, even 3.5 months on!

I have a beko gemini: bought after exactly the same problem - the babybjorn was uncomfortable. most of weight tken around hips so much more comfy.i think it is great: no complaints whatsoever and no newborn insert etc needed. bought when no 2 was about 7 weeks old. she loves it still at 16 weeks and i anticipate we'll use it well into toddlerdom.

beko butterfly also worth a look.

You can get Becos sometimes cheaper than the advertised RRP - try the slumberoo website as they sometimes have ex-hire ones going cheap. You can also hire for a couple of weeks and then you get 10% discount if you buy anything from them.

From what I can tell, the Beco is very similar to the Ergo but you can also wear the baby facing outwards in the front position. I'm not sure how good that is in terms of boy babies and their bits, but it's not stopped us (until the yaklet's legs got in the way too much). We used from about 4 weeks old I think.

There is a sling meet up tomorrow I think - http://southlondonslings.com/

Hello again, thanks for all the fab advice. Just wondering if anyone has managed to breastfeed in a stretchy wrap sling e.g. a moby? Baby boy feeds a lot- v different from skinny big sis. Would be great to be able to feed him and put dinner on- or is this unrealistic!? Also this is going to sound really cheeky but it would fantastic if someone could meet me briefly and show me how to do it! Have looked at you tube but i'm a bit hopeless at doing things like that unless shown in person!

Yep I've fed in a closer sling (a bit like a Moby?) and also in the Beco Gemini. At the risk of oversharing, I think it rather depends on the shape, height and size of your boobs how easy it is!

Happy to lend a hand but it's been a while since I used a stretchy wrap so someone else might be better placed to help you...