Weaning babies off a dummy

We are currently weaning our almost 2 y/o off his dummy (both day and night) and thus far, it's going really well. He's an all or nothing kind of boy, so we just went cold turkey, took it away a few mornings ago and haven't mentioned it since.

However, Baby Lex (15wks) is waking more and more in the night for her dummy, and it would be awesome if she didn't. But how, if at all, does one go about weaning a 3mo old from their dummy? Or is this best left to 6m or so? It's not as if I can let her scream and cry, poor bubs.

All input greatly appreciated.

(P.S. Both babies in the same room now, it's going well- they do wake each other up on occasion but only if one of them has a really massive scream)

Hi

We took away our daughters dummy at this time for exactly the same reason, if you search I started a long thread about it on the forum! It was actually much more pain free than I imagined and we combined it with some sleep training so light controlled crying (weak controlled crying!) and patting, etc. Basically we went cold turkey and over a couple of nights we just concentrated on helping her get to sleep in other ways but were consistent in our approach. She did cry and it was awful but she had a slumberbear and a jellycat cow which are now her comforters. I found she registered very quickly that she no longer had it. From what I've heard it can be harder as they get older and from my experience my daughter was at the peak of her awareness about surroundings/separation anxiety at 6/7/8 months.

I had been worried about cot death as they say not to take away but I called te FSiD charity and they talked trough all the other factors and we agreed that the dummy could be removed.

Hi Jenny,

I remember that thread well! I'll have a look. We are very consistent with naps etc and she knows her routine so well now that when I put her in her cot and turn the mobile on, she will turn her head to the side (where she has a jelycat rabbit which she likes to feel against her cheek) and she will drop off. However, this means she won't really sleep anywhere else. Oh well!

What do you do if your girl wakes in the night now? If lex wakes and it's been 3-5hrs since her last feed, I'll feed her but if it's less...well without dummy and he swaddle, I'm at a slight loss!!!

Well it isnt ideal...mine will only really sleep in the cot or the pushchair although it was a struggle to get her to sleep in the pushchair and she needs movement plus the slumberbear box. I often thought how lovely to have a dummy to pop in and have instant sleep!

If she wakes (which she does frequently) it depends on what she does. If she cries out but is sleepy with it then I remotely turn the lullabies on her monitor on. If that doesnt work I sneak in and try and put her bear and cow back on the sides of her head without her seeing me or smelling me! If that doesnt work then I try and reposition her and turn her on her side. Then I will shush and pat her back or stroke her head to calm her if needs be. If all else fails I pick her up and cuddle her until she has calmed and then put her back and stroke her until she is settled. its a mission to be honest and I am now back at work so the fact she is going through a phase of needing constant reassurance in the night (every hour some nights!) i am a little tired of it!!!