The latest sleep moan!

Having gone from good to bad to awful to good in terms of sleep, youngest snowboarder has thrown a new curveball at me - having just learnt to sit up from tummy/hands and knees position, this is now ALL he wants to do when you put him in his cot at naptime and bedtime. I used to just pop him in, give him a kiss, he stuck his thumb in his mouth and drifted off. Last night an hour and a quarter of acrobatics. Can't leave him as he sits up and tries to pull himself out of the cot (on middle setting and can't change this until husband at home during waking hours!) and/or bangs his head on the way down.

How long does this one take to pass? Oldest never did it (well, never went to sleep by himself so never had the opportunity!!). It's particularly annoying at naptime as I need him to be quick as there is a mischievous 2.5 yr old waiting downstairs!!

Mini Sailor did exactly the same thing, in the first week after she learnt to do that she sometimes skipped a whole nap altogether, just to practice her moves, until I gave up and brought her back down! It passed quickly and now she only does it if she is overtired and wired when I put her down, or not tired enough, to burn energy for 5 mins before passing out..can only imagine the fun and games when she starts pulling herself up to stand in her cot...::o

oh no, baby f has just learnt to do this too... he hasn't done it in the cot (yet) though.... more fun and games...

although he is on the bottom due to pulling himself upto standing.... which agian he isn't practicing in the cot yet... I'm fearfull.... !

Hang in there SB, it DOES pass! DD went through a phase of doing this at about 10 and a half months (she's just turned one now). We have a video monitor so I could se exactly what the little monkey was up to. It went from a quick kiss and cuddle, plop in her cot, quick rummage then asleep in 5-10 mins for naps and bedtime, to P-A-R-T-Y in the cot! At first I went in every time she sat up and laid her back down but I soon realised this over-stimulated her and whilst we never skipped a nap, it could take 45-50 mins for her to drop off to sleep. Anyways, one lunctime I just decided to leave her and see what happens and lo and behold, she moved around for about 10 mins then just laid down and went to sleep! She nows sleeps either on her front, side or back but is much more competent at getting into and out of positions to find a comfy place. Took about a week for it to settle down properly but since she's gotten the hang of it she's slept better than ever (she's always been a pretty good sleeper anyway). And like hellosailor, she's worse when overtired.