Advice please....sitting up at 6 months

anyjoy

Hi, looking for some advice on how to get our little one enough support to sit up and play without spending my day on the floor balancing him. He is keen to sit up and has a strong neck but gets over-excited and face plants pretty quickly. He hates his bumbo and blossom farm sit me up cosy. I have heard the galt playnests are good but wanted son advice before I invest in more kit we don't have the room for!

Thanks

Hi

No real advice im afraid but in my experience my daughter went from very quickly trying to sit up and flopping over to being able to hold herself up well, probably no more than about a week. I would just sit her with lots of cushions all around her and let her fall and she quickly got the hang of how to balance her weight a bit better and not throw herself around. I don't know how else you can help teach them rather than experience and trial and error...like I said my girl did just start sitting better the more chances I gave her.

Good luck!

I am selling this for ?7 if you would like. Perfect condition as hardly used (i hasten to add not because my son didn't like it but because he has been in plaster and can't use it!). But when he was able to use it he loved it. It could help you out with the sitting issue for your little one.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sit-Me-Inflatable-Play-Ring/dp/B003BPLU82/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321012456&sr=8-2

Miss jb seemed to really like the Galt playnest. I used to throw a few toys in the middle of the ring with her and she'd play for a good while. Mine was borrowed off someones else so unfortunately haven't got one to lend - they tend to get passed around as they are only really useful for a few weeks as they learn to sit.

We had great success with a square plastic container/bucket lined with a duvet. Another friend did the same with a baby bath. It was just big enough to accommodate outstretched legs and a few toys and the duvet prevented any damage to baby from "face plants". We only needed it for a few weeks so no need to buy bumbos or similar. But as with all baby kit, never leave them unattended. Good luck

Thank you all so much for your advice. I think I need to relax a little and let him learn to hold himself up as it is improving daily! I would love to buy the nest minimac as think it would give me the reassurance needed that he is not going to headbutt our very hard floors! That is if it us still available. I have a blossom farm sit me up cosy, free to a good home if anyone would like it. Thanks again for your wise words. What would I do without this forum?!

The galt playnest is one of the best things I bought,my daughter loved being propped up in it and then learnt to turn over and got very strong arms and legs from feeling safe moving around in it. A friend had the one for sale in this thread and had problems with it as her daughter kept slipping under the bridge bit (sorry!).

There are often galt ones for sale on here and you can take the cover off and stick it in the washing machine.

My daughter is 11 months now and I use it to tidy her toys into, she uses it to crawl over as part of an obstacle course!

We like the Galt playnest (is that the inflatable one? That's the one we've got). They very very quickly get to the next stage though. For my first child, we just used loads of cushions in a ring around her so that wherever she landed she was ok. We were given the playnest for my second and have loved that too though.

Chee Shan at Baby Sensory demo'd a rectangular plastic laundry basket last week for this (she is all about using things you already have at home). I could imagine scooping up baby plus playthings into the basket and moving rooms when required quite easily. I echo Jennyh however, the period of needing to sit with my daughter and support her was literally a week or two. She went from tipping over a lot to being a strong independent sitter quite quickly.

I now have a large foam playmat alphabet puzzle (purchased on Amazon for about ?25) on the floor in our front reception room. My 8-month old is now learning to reach for things and crawl so if/when she flips or tips over, she falls on the mat and doesn't get hurt.