Mummy clothes question: where to get the best leggings?

Thought I'd consult with you canny clothes buyers about this now winter is upon us and leggings are about to become a staple part of my wardrobe. Where to buy the best leggings - i.e. nice smooth fabric with good stretch, wash well, hard-wearing, and of course not too expensive. I got some from Uniqlo last year but they already have holes in them. Any recommendations would be welcomed!

I'll watch this thread with interest - my best leggings are from Glassons, which is a clothing store in NZ - I tend to get my sister to send them to me. They wash brilliantly and last forever.

I got a pair from White Stuff which had holes in them after a couple of months, very disappointing given the price.

I'd really like some nice dark grey ones (which is the colour my WS ones were), but can't find any that are nice - all the grey ones I see are the "grey marl" colour.

My best leggings - the ones that wash best and haven't bagged at the knee are from American Apparel (I know it's quite a trendoid shop and you wouldn't catch me in a neon unitard but good leggings!)

From memory they come up quite big (perhaps cos an american brand, I notice the same with Gap) so I would go for the smaller size if between sizes..

Hundreds of colours and nice and long, I'm average height but I like my leggings to reach low on the ankle not half way up the calf!

look here

I got my leggings a couple of winters ago from H&M and they have lasted through the pre-pregnancy, heavily pregnant (wore them under the bump) and post pregnancy phases without any problems with holes, bagginess or fading!

Since they are cheap I bought 3 or 4 pairs so I always had a pair that was not in the wash and found them to be warmer than tights during the great freeze of 2010.

Best leggings I've found are from The White Company - really substantial, wear and wash really well, don't go a little bit see-through on the knees when you're sitting down - I hate that. I would definitely recommend them. Other pairs from M&S, Boden and Next have not come anywhere close. I did also have a pair from Monsoon which were good - they developed a hole in the knee, but I think that was because I caught them on something rather than due to the quality.

Just bought some great leggings from Topshop. Cheap and have washed really well so far. They probably do a few types there but the ones I've got are a really thick material with a wide waistband which really holds everything in- useful post babies... I know some topshop stuff seems to be made for 16 year old skinny girls but honestly I don't fall into that catagory and they're v flattering!

Love this thread...I rememeber I got a great pair at M&S last year and practically lived in them throughout my pregnancy. I teach dance for a living so I did wear them out to the max...Only yesterday I went looking for a similar pair...otherwise there are some good ones in dance shops ;)

I love a good legging!

Have had several pairs of American apparel ones. They do a good range of colours (a great plain grey I'm also not a fan of the grey marl) they have a high rise, so no cold midriff.

Boden- nice quality, but unusually generous on the waistband- so go down a size, not as high a rise as AA though.

My latest faves are Fat Face- which I managed to pick up in John Lewis- really nice grey colour, good rise and stretch.

For maternity- have got some over the bump ones from H&M- which are faring very well so far and dirt cheap.

• 1 month later...

Following on from the above I just bought the White company leggings. Anyway seems as I was a little over optimistic,bought medium,wore them once and spent the while time tugging them up...bit small!

They were ?26, and are in as new condition as worn for about 3 hours. Anyone interested in making me an offer?! PM me if so, thanks.