Chickenpox treatments for spotty babies

Poor 10.5m old youngest snowboarder has caught chicken pox from his big brother, despite guzzling 4 bf a day still. Just as I was grabbing the piriton and eurax we lathered over brother, realised neither suitable for a baby. Hmm. Yes I know this is medical but seeing as drs don't want to see you for chickenpox thought would ask for alternative remedies here.

Poor spotty baby sleeping just now but think we might have a rough night ahead...:-(

Might be being stoopid but my tube of Eurax just says 'check w doctor if child under 3'. Worth ringing GP?

Good luck - my two had the evil pox at just 4 and about 9 months respectively and I must admit I did miss the Piriton option for the little one, but it didn't last very long.

Good luck

Snowboarder try not to fret too much. He may not need too many lotions and potions. Miss JB has just been through chicken pox at 15 months and wasn't bothered by her spots at all. We only caught her scratching once and that was after a hot bath.. We put calamine in aqueous on her biggest spots but we probably didn't really need to. Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

Our breastfed 5 month old had one of the worst cases of chicken pox the A&E Doctor said he had seen. We used lots & lots of calamine lotion 4-5 times a day, bicarbonate in the bath lots of, A&E prescribed Pyriton due seveity but I stopped that as his poos turned green. He had new spots coming out on day 10 even! Had spots in eyelids, palms of hands and soles of feet. The eyelids need monitoring by Doctors if get spots there....People asked what's wrong with him 3-4 months after the episode due horrendous residual marks all over. Anyway, his face is practically scar free as we used Argon or "Morocco" oil on his face. His body is like a pizza still as not had time to Argon that him being a second baby, bisy busy but embarking on that daily now onwards.

Good luck, best wishes, scars should go........

Dd has it. She's 21 months.Aqueous calamine is good I think normal lotion is drying and makes it itchier.porridge oats in bath were recommended to me-who knows but it was a right mare to get the oats of older sister's hair and because of my fears of blocked pipes I was scooping porridge out for ages once bath drained. A shiny new tellytubbies DVD has proved some distraction from the spots so far!! Seems a lot of it about just now

I heard that to stop the porridge oats going all over the place you're meant to put the oats in an old sock first, tie it securely, then hold the sock under the hot tap as you fill the bath. Haven't tried it though.

I remember my mum tied mittens to my hands so that I couldn't scratch. Not sure how successful it was.