Stay At Home Dads Group?

herrd

Hi guys,

I'm a Dulwich SAHD (a term which makes me cringe, my mates call me a SAHD B***ard) and it strikes me there is no group where we can get together and talk about stuff, have a coffee/pint, etc. Everything seems to be set up for mums, as - fair play to them - they actually get around to organizing get togethers, while us men seem much happier (or not) to have a more isolated experience.

So, would anybody be up for a get together, say once a fortnight, in somewhere like the EDT in the morning? I spoke with the bar staff, and it would be no sweat for us to go in there before it opened, say 11-12 on a week day. The kids can rampage and we can have a natter.

Drop me a reply, or get the thread going, if you're interested, as it seems to me there are loads more SAHDs about, yet we seem to pass each other like ships in the night.

Martin

Hi herrd

Mr Yak is a full time stay at home Dad (at least for the next couple of months) and would, I expect, love to meet up with other Dads. There is the South East London Dads group (meets in Herne Hill on a Fri I think) but something more local would be great.Good on you for getting the ball rolling!

Hi Yak and Hello Martin, Mr. Small is soon to be a SAHD from March, so will definitely be interested in joining. I've tagged the thread to follow, so will keep him in the loop (or better yet, he'll get on the Forum).

Martin, there is always one "Organiser" in each of the Mum groups, the one who sends the emails and organises the events and get togethers or else they never happen, so looks like you just might be the ED SAHD "Organiser"! Best of luck!

Yak, best we get the next drinks organised ;>

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all

I am spanish born & bred (african origing here), being leaving in Dulwich for over 10 years, I work weekdays & spend time with my daughter (8 months) on the weekends, It would nice to meet other fathers for what you say have a pint, cofee or organize something in the morning.

• 2 months later...
I have been a stay at home Dad for about two months now and would also be interested in meeting up during the week with other Dads (and children) in East Dulwich. There are some good activities around the area during the days although sometimes I am the only Dad there. I have a one year old just starting to walk so playgrounds and activity groups feature big on my schedule.

My partner has just started looking after our daughter, 3.5 year old girl full time...and will be doing that until she starts school in September. I know he would be keen to hook up with some other dads.

He's not currently hooked up to EDF...but I will tell him to get himself an id and get in touch. In the mean time pass any messages thru me. It's a pretty new thing for him so he is still getting his 'schedule' of pre school activities sorted..swimming, music class etc...so having other dads around would be a great addition to the week for him I reckon...so he doesn't go too insane with childcare and lack of male company :).

Thanks!

• 4 months later...

My son just started nursery at Dulwich Wood and FYI there is a "Time Out With Dad" session that meets every other Saturday from 10-12. Next one is this Sat, the 15th. Step Dads, Grandad's, Uncles etc. also welcome. Looks pretty good though my OH hasn't been yet:

"During the sesions we have free play activities plus group activities. We have previously done activities such as cooking pancakes, making cards, and den making. Weather permitting we use the garden area as much as possible."

If you haven't seen Dulwich Wood, it's an excellent facility and outdoor area.

-A