Hollydale School, Nunhead - Any thoughts?

stellakis

Primary school applications are done on a Londonwide basis. Schools do not know in which order you put them. The best is to put the schools in order of preference. Most primaries rank on distance (after siblings, SEN, looked after children). You will be allocated the highest of the schools in your list that can offer your child a place. You say you live near Hollydale. Other schools that children from central Nunhead go to are: Ivydale, John Donne, Rye Oak, Turnham, Edmund Waller and probably they will go to Haberdasher's Aske Free School. The last three in the list are Lewisham schools.It is a Londonwide process which means you can have schools from different boroughs. Children also go the Mary Magdelene (C of E) and St Francesca Cabrini (priority Catholic, than other Christians eg Cof E or Orthodox, then community places- likely to be some in 2013 as St Anthony's has expanded and William of York is expected to bulge).

Renata

• 2 months later...

We've been offered Hollydale - it was our second choice and we are happy to get it. I have heard good things about the school and know of a few mums with older children there/now left who've had good experiences, even before it was rated 'good'. I've been impressed with the children I've met. We too live near the school and a big factor for me was being able to walk the kids to school so I am pleased with that.

We plan to do our best as parents to support our child and her allocated school and get involved in whatever way we can. The most improved inner London schools (Ivydale for example) are those where the parents are actively engaged, involved and supportive.

My daughter is at Hollydale and my son will probably go there in 2013, the school needs committed parents so it's great to hear that you want to support the school. Please try and get involved as much as possible - it makes a big difference.