pregnant and protein found in urine

pommie

Im 35 weeks pregnant and just got a letter from the hospital saying there was a problem with my last urine sample and that i need to do another one. When i went to the midwife last time she said i did have protein in my urine but it could be to do with my sugar levels (they are monitoring my sugar levels during pregnancy)

Just wondered if anyone else went through this and if its anything serious to worry about

Just to say, I had a letter saying there was a problem with my urine sample once (actually I think they lost the sample!). I did another one and it was fine. Sometimes they do get contaminated as well.

Try not to worry until you have done another one - easier said than done I know but might be nothing.

You can end up with protein on the dipstick if you have a discharge I think (sorry, tmi!)

But if it was done at hospital and they then sent it for further testing, maybe they can rule that out as the cause

Try not to worry

When they check it again, either it willbe alright or they may want a 24h urine collection ... For which they would propose admitting you... And checking your bp frequently

I did have protein in my urine with my twins, at about 36w... It was mild preeclampsia. But I didn't need any medication, or Immediate induction.. I even got to come home and be monitored at home

It depends on the levels, other things they test for (kidney and liver function I think) Nd your blood pressure.. Plus they my monitor the baby more carefully

I had protein in my wee which was an indicator (amongst others) that I had developed gestational diabetes.. Might not be that obviously so I wouldn't worry but just go and get yourself checked, they can tell with a simple blood test followed by a sugar test is drinking a gallon of lucoZade and they take blood and analyse.. X

yes you're right - in my first pregnancy i had to stay in for it as they were pretty sure (and were right) it was pre eclampsia. for my second pregnancy it was a precaution as BP was normal, so probs why they let me be at home. I know someone who was a teacher right in the middle of exams who insisted on doing hers as an outpatient too.

a tip if you do have to stay in - make sure they get you started straight away - i was in for a night before they remembered to start it all, which added time onto my stay.

Oh the joys of carrying that big bottle. I had traces of protein in my urine throughout most of my pregnancy so had to have my bp checked frequently which was always normal. And although protein showed up in my 24hr sample (which i collected at home) it wasn't too much for them to worry. They said my kidneys were probably leaking slightly which was nothing to cause major concern.

A suggestion if they do suggest having your bp checked frequently. Go to your doctor or a local pharmacist rather than the bp clinic at the hospital. you can be waiting hours up there as it is first come first served basis. my pharmacist charged ?1.50 each time but was happy to pay this rather than spend forever sitting in the hospital.

Let me know how you get on.. I was also feeling v tired and unwell.. If they suspect they'll send you for a blood test and if that comes back with indicators they will then get you to do a lucozade test.. After that it's just management and you will be transferred to the high risk midwife team who in my experience were amazing! I was at tommies x

i have done a glucose test which came back high which is why i am testing my sugars on a daily basis and if they continue to be high, then i will be put on tablets for the rest of my pregnancy. That is one reason why they are not letting me go any further than 39 weeks because the baby is showing up as big

Ah right! Is it metformin they are putting you on? These made me really sick (both ends) so I had to go on insulin.. I was induced at 38+3 due to Toby's apparent size (massive is. Word they used) and he was 7.13 so tiny! Don't get too worried when they talk about size as my little hippo turned out to be smal and we had to run out and buy some newborn stuff which was still too big on him.. Xx

strawbs

not sure what tablets they would put me on. Guess would find out tomorrow when i see the midwife. Yeah they told us our first daughter was big around 34 weeks (had to have a scan as had low lying placenta) and she was only 7lb 11oz.

I think I was quite sensitive to it but I'd give it a go as you will know very quickly just make a plan to stay home that day.. I was taken off it after the 2nd day as the reaction was so severe.. I was still sick whenever they upped my insulin so I do think I was more sensitive than most.. If you do get ill and come off it then the sickness will subside almost immediately ie that day. X

Pommie, make sure that you take the metformin on a full stomach but not with fatty food. I found that food that were very rich and creamy made it worse so made sure I avoided them. Also I was advised to up the dose in stages to allow my body to get used to it, one week with one tab per day, one week with two etc but am not sure if you can do that?