Opinions Appreciated

rocco17

I am currently on maternity leave after having my little girl. My thoughts have turned to my return to work and what I might do instead of my current job. I am a qualified early childhood teacher and I am thinking about turning my downstairs sitting room into a large playroom. I was wondering if I were to look into becoming a childminder would I have any takers? I planned on setting up the playroom like a nursery incorporating the early learning goals. I am based in New Cross Gate. Do you think I would be successful in attracting parents? Any ideas/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you would but a childminder is not a nursery provision and you need to be careful about your plans here - if you're talking of nursery provision it's change of use and you need permission

- if you wish to be a childminder you need to go through the course, no matter what your experience, it's only short but can take months to get on to. There's a lot of bureaucracy but as an early years teacher you'll probably be aware of it - and there'll be a restriction of 3 under-school aged children of which yours counts as one, I think it's 3 aged 5 - 8 and unlimited above

Just like a nursery, childminders have to incorporate the EYFS into their setting, so whether it's becoming a childminder or setting up a nursery that part is the same.

It's whether you want to take on more children, as Curmudgeon says, but then you would have to employ an assistant.

I don't think you would have any problems attracting parents as childcare is something that's always needed.