Is it worth getting a Bugaboo Cameleon travel bag?

mooncake

We have one and used it when my son was very small as taking apart the buggy at the plane was a bit of a faff and he much preferred his sling anyway. It was much easier to check in the big buggy, pop him in his sling and not worry about it getting on the plane. However I believe that they are near to ?100 new (we got our bugaboo second hand so it came with the travel bag so to speak) and totally not worth it unless you will be taking an awful lot of flights in the first 6 months. Once he got beyond the pram bit we used a mclaren instead.

Do you know if you can take the cameleon on planes as I was under the impression the buggy had to fold down in one? We are travelling in April so we were thinking about buying a Maclaren for this, but if we can take the Cameleon we won't need to get one. Any advice would be great.

Cameleon came with us on long haul with Virgin. We brought it to the gate, I boarded with a then 3 mth old while OH wrapped it in bin bags and gaffer tape. When the crew saw the phaff he was going through, he (crew member) said he would load it in the hold himself and make sure it was ok. We got it as we disembarked the other end. Where you pick up the buggy at arrivals depends on the airport, some will put it through with luggage for collection at the carousel (LHR), some will allow it to be handed over as passengers get off.

On the return we had no bags and the tape had long since disappeared, but the Virgin staff wrapped it in industrial strength plastic bags (unprompted) which was great. It wouldn't have made the difference if, for example, something fell on the brake and broke the handle, but it was reassuring that they were treating our belongings well.

Hope this helps, I haven't brought it on any other airline or shorthaul, have used the sling for that.

I bought one secondhand (and have since sold it on again) but never actually used it! Took the chameleon on a couple of domestic flights & did the bin bag coverage thing (one either end of the carrycot, tied around the handle) and it arrived with no issues.

I'd bought the bag for a longer flight but ended up deciding to get a 'holiday buggy' (?50 for an obaby, reclines fully, little one -7months at time-slept in it no probs when we went out for dinner) and decided that this option was much better (and cheaper even than the travel bag) as it really then wasn't the end of the world if this one sustained any damage....

Thanks for the advice. I think we will get one after all as we'll be doing 2-3 long haul flights this year and probably will also have to do a flight transfer. Will be much safer to check it in - and as you say, if you can fill it with extra things too, so much the better!

• 3 years later...
Hi all, sorry to resurrect a very old thread, but wondered if anyone has recent experience of long haul flights with a Bugaboo Cameleon and whether you would recommend the travel bag? My baby will be 4.5 months old when we fly and I do want to bring our Bugaboo because we're going for 3 weeks and will be doing lots of walking with the buggy, so would like her to be in the sturdy one she's used to. We'll definitely bring the baby bjorn and soft sling as well, so maybe best to get the travel bag and check the whole buggy when we check our bags and just carry her to the gate in the sling, or is it a lot easier to take the buggy to the gate? Any advice greatly appreciated (nervous first time mum here)!

i would just say if you can get one secondhand at a reasonable price (normally they are really good condition because people don't use them much) then do it. gives good protection for your buggy and you can also use for bag space (they don't weight them) so load it up with nappies / clothes whatever you like!

use the sling and check the buggy bag in and it will be waiting for you at the other side..

We use our buggy bag for all sort of things. Winter clothes, nappies anything really. The buggy is protected and you can get more things with you for free. I would recommend it and we use ours every time we travel. I use a sling at the airport + a small suitcase with wheels for bits needed on the flight. Works perfectly for us.

Best of luck!

Agree, check your buggy at check in in a bag. We have had things damaged on flights, it's not worth the risk when it's your main buggy.

We always checked the bugy and had the baby in a sling.

Recently we have bought a babyzen yoyo which we take on the flight with us. But that only works if you can manage to carry the baby, the pram and your hand luggage for the short periods that you need to!