Experience of DUCKS Dulwich College Kindergarten for 7+

Hello,

My wife and I are considering DUCKS for our daughters, with a view to them being prepped for 7+ entry into other local independent schools (our 1st choices are JAGS and Alleyns so competition will be high).

They would potentially attend from reception through to year 2. Has anyone sent their daughters to DUCKS and would you care to share your experience? We're also interested in just how much 'prep' work they do within school for the 7+ for girls AND boys -

Do the school hours they put in have an impact?

Does the relationship the Head has with the destination schools have any bearing?

Is home coaching/private tutoring the main thing to focus on here?

And finally can anyone recommend good tutors for the 7+ that have experience of the Dulwich schools?

We would love to hear thoughts and experiences, either privately through email or on the board! Thank you.

Hi jack

I don't have too much experience with DUCKS yet, although both my children are registered to attend it. I am not sure how old your children are now, but I just thought I would write to see if you have put them on the registration list yet? If you haven't I suspect they wont get a place. I registered my first child before he was born and it is still a bit iffy as to whether he will get a place in the reception class or not as the list is so long. Once you have registered you get to meet the head, and she will take you through the destinations of all the DUCKS leavers. How many applied to each of the local public schools, how many were accepted and how many took up the place. She can also advise on the preparation needed for each later schools entry assessment.

My daughter is in the Kindergarten and starting at the Infants' school next year. Can't really answer your questions re: preparation for the exams. I am not too fussed myself about this. However the stats re: which schools the children go to after Ducks are now available on their new website - did not use to be on the old one. See here: http://www.dulwich.org.uk/ducks/about/year-2-results

What attracted me really was the fantastic setting, small size classes and the fact they do one-to-one reading with the teachers every week. And the heateacher is great, very warm. She's available on the day on which you book your visit of the school and I am sure she would answer your questions by email as well.

Sorry I can't help more but given the fact you have not had many answers, I thought I'd chip in!

Yes I did and I was completely "wowed." Loved the staff whom I all found very warm, thought the kids' work on display was out of this world, the two children who showed me around were ever so polite, articulate and most importantly seemed happy and not stressed. Loved the fact that the french teacher is French (I am French) and that the after school clubs are fantastic (include circus skills or so I hear) I feel this is a place where my daughter will be happy.

Watching this thread with interest as our son has just been offered a place to start in September when he will be just under 3 (having joined the waiting list when he was 4wks old!). If anyone else could also share their experience of the kindergarten, would be much appreciates.