soft play

As far as I can see there are:

1. Gambado - great, quite dear, also dodgems and carousel

2. Various council facilities - very cheap, but not massive "systems" like Gambado. Specific pieces of gym equipment

3. Little Rascals - no idea

4. Crystal Palace - Toddlers' World - no idea

5. Beckenham Spa - Buzz Zone

6. Tumble tots (sp?)- book for 10 weeks, specific pieces of equipment, not cheap

Can anyone enlighten me re Rascals and T World in terms of age group suitability?

Lastly I am coming from the perspective that Gambado is best, Buzz at the Spa is a bit limited and sweaty, while I really do not like those drop through holes. I tihnk they're dangerous. Does anyone agree?

Toddlerworld - really like, open space (about the size of a basketball court) with variety of equipment/tunnels/balls/nets. Suitable for pre-walkers up to about 3yrs, Like that you can easily keep track of where your child is/don't have to crawl though small spaces/up several floors to keep up with them!

Little Rascals - very good for walkers/toddlers up to ?10-11yrs. Good area for toddlers - plenty to challenge/encourage balance and climbing skills. Didn't try the cafe & thinking of taking kneepads for next visit so i can keep up with bugglet!! She was 15mths when we visited & didn't feel confident giving her free rein as we do at toddlerworld due to the multi-levels/holes to climb through.

Hope that helps, sure others have opinions to add x

Love little rascals for my 2 - now 3 & 7 - littlest one seems to keep up with her sister fine & I get to sit & drink coffee & read - bliss. No time limit unless it's busy & I've now signed them up as members so it's only ?5 to get them both in.

I think until they are 2.5-3.5 (depending on child & siblings or not) its not ideal, after that - it gets my vote - spent 4.5 hours there one day over Xmas!

Another vote for Little Rascals here although have only been to Beckenham to compare it to. I have a very active 14 month old (boy!) who has great fun there but he is a confident walker. It is on two levels so I have to follow him everywhere but it's good fun, and a work-out for me ;-)It seems quite clean but I've not used the cafe or checked out the loos! We even went today (yes in school hols) and the area for the little ones wasn't too crowded, was very noisy though!

I found Beckenham a bit too boistrous for him but in both places there were children over 4 in the toddler areas, guess that happens everywhere.

Have fun!

At the moment I like the peckham pulse one best, as I have a baby too young to do much and a very active 3 year old who I can keep an eye on without having to actually go in there at all thank god as they dont let adults in the high up bit. Cant sit and have a coffee however.

Another vote for little rascals - my 2 year old has been able to climb to the top for the last 4 months or so. I've never had to climb up with him but he has always been a good climber (and just follows his older brother everywhere). The cafe is fine I've had lunch there and it does the job.

Also last week I took them to Beckenham which they loved we spent over 2 hours there - again the little one could go everywhere and was fine with the holes. A bit more expensive than Little Rascals and again has a little cafe.

Both are good as you can sit and watch them from the cafe bit (which works for me as I have a baby as well).

I've also taken the 2 year old and baby to Toddler World - which was good. But definitely only up to 3 - my 4 year old would have been very bored.

We also go to Peckham Pulse which just about keeps them busy for 45 minutes.

Rascals, Gambado, Peckham pulse and beckenham spa are all variations on same theme, big with potentially big drops which either worries you or doesn't . My 18 month old was not impressed by Gambado baby area at all she wanted to be up the main frame. Toddler world is flat with bits of gym equipment. For me that works better as I am not stopping her escaping up the steps/ladder and scrambling over obstacles. Toddler world is a very gentle safe introduction but not fun for over 2.5 year olds I would say. Mine all love Gambado and Peckham but if just a little one I prefer TW. No point paying for lots of things they won't use. And TW is fine by yourself whereas for some reason beckenham and Gambado I would not fancy without some other parents I know going along too. TW is like the old 'camberwell baby gym'- dies that still run, it was such good value and my fee two loved going there.

The tiny gym they used to run in Camberwell leisure centre was just the best thing ever. when they shut it when the centre was being refurbished they promised some sort of replacement but I think that went by the wayside. Does anyone know of anything similar apart from the crystal palace toddler world?