Best Nursery for 1 year old

Tavia

Hi, We are moving back to London from Sydney in a few months, and really wanting to move to East Dulwich. But we need to first look into nurseries for our 1 year old son. I was hoping people could please recommend any great ones, and what should we expect from waiting lists? Also, I am not familiar with the system at all, but from looking around it seems that some nurseries and pre-schools start at later ages. Is this right? Also, roughly what kind of price do we need to budget for? Any help would be so lovely. Thank you.

I can recommend Asquith in Peckham Rye - fantastic staff, low staff turnover, great manager and great purpose-built premises well away from main road. A full-time place costs GBP1,400. They're open 51 weeks a year, five days a week, 7.30am to 6.30pm. They take babies from 6 months. Also had great feedback on Piplings and I think they start at 1 but could be wrong.

My daughter also goes to DUCKS (Dulwich College Kindergaten and Infants School) Open only term-time, 8 to 4.30pm. Perfect if you don't work - bit more challenging if you do but we manage. Prices are available from their website. We pay about GBP1,500 a term for two days a week. Again staff is amazing and the premises are great with a huge, huge garden which my daughter loves. Their kindergarten takes children from 6 months. All kindergarten children get offered a place at the Infants School starting in September after they turn 3.

You could also try Piplings and Mother Goose.

You can find inspection reports on all nurseries on http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/

Good luck with your relocation.

Thank you so much for all the info. It is a huge help for us, as we just had no idea where to start. And have looked all the places up, and they all seem great. When you say that it costs 1,400 for a full time place, is this per term? And there are 4 terms? It seems to cheap to be the annual price.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.

Both my children went to First Steps Montessori Nursery. It is a lovely setting with friendly and experienced staff, we had a good experience and would recommended it to anybody. It's been 7 months since we left from there and my children still talk about First Steps, their staff and the fun they used to have there.

I think they take children from 18 months but take into consideration the waiting lists as they seem to be looong in the East Dulwich Nurseries.

I heard Nellys is also a good nursery.

Good luck

Kirsty

Our 3 year old son is at Little Jungle on Amott Road. This was his first experience of nursery after a child minder and a nanny and he absolutely loves it. It's quite small compared to most of the others I looked at and for me that was a good thing. The staff are lovely, great with the kids and really responsive to the parents. I really recommend it. Not sure on the waitiing lists though and the price I pay for 4 days a week isn't comparable to what you will pay (because of the age difference and the FEEE grant you get once a child turns 3). I would imagine that Ria (the manager) or Caroline (the owner) will be more than happy to answer any questions you have though.

Good luck with such a big move!

Katy