Anyone else have kids with this cough/vomiting bug?

School said there was a bug going round & My youngest started with a temp last Sunday then was sick once & coughing / off colour on & off since though on the mend I think.

My 7 year old came down with it on Tuesday & is still not right - choosing to sleep in the day, really not herself & a horrible cough.

Its been an awful half term & I think she may not be fit for school tomorrow. Wondering whether to go to the doctors but not sure they will prescribe anything other than Medised type stuff which she's on anyway.

Anyone else had similar bug & been to docs? If so what did they advise?

Does seem to be a prolonged bug on the rounds at the moment - Bugglet and Mr Buggie have both had d&v symptoms which lasted around a week... about the only perk of nursing that I've got the immunity of an ox! Might be worth getting a urine dipped just to double check it's not a urine infection (sounds weird but I've seen stranger presentations!) x

Oh yes - so far my personal tally is 3 adults and one very elderly frail person afflicted .

Seems to start with sore throat and coughing which morphs into vomiting .

The vomiting seems to go on over several days ,not your normal 24 hour bug .

GP says airborne ,spread before people aware that they are infected and to be vigilant about containing sneezes/coughs and ruthless with handwashing .

Seems a nasty one .

we've had this - it lingers for 3 or so days

it's less agressive than noro and the kids seem to snap back to normal and then digress

none of the adults got it in our nannyshare

also morphs into upset tummy and smelly nappies after the sickness stops

appetite goes for about a week

you get a good warning they're about to be sick (again - unlike noro which gets you out of the blue) so plenty of time to gently wander over to that tiled floored area....

good luck

x

Hmm the vomiting we only had once with our 3 year old & she's ok now.

With my 7 year old it's the temperature coming & going, lack of appetite & listlessness. Hate seeing her like this it is so out of character. We are on day 5 with her so maybe by Tuesday she will be on the mend, fingers crossed. :-(

Hmm the vomiting we only had once with our 3 year old & she's ok now.

With my 7 year old it's the temperature coming & going, lack of appetite & listlessness. Hate seeing her like this it is so out of character. We are on day 5 with her so maybe by Tuesday she will be on the mend, fingers crossed. :-(

Thank you all, reassuring to hear it has lingered with others too.

yes, i'm glad i came across this thread, as my two have had these odd symptoms since last weekend too--- no vomiting but temperature, lack of appetite, cough, and so very tired- my 4 yr old, although her temperature went after day 3, has been sleeping 6.30pm til 8am nxt morning, then an hours nap in the day- for subsequent 4 days- v strange.

my daughter has just had a cough thing and vomited a lot but she tends to anyway with a cough - did in a car with a friend and her mum quite spectacularly however - which meant entire class then thought she had vomiting bug and gave me odd looks when we waltzed in 2 days later. She never actually seemed to feel ill. Perhaps, it was actually a vomit bug. Oops. My husband and I have had the cough and my Dad has had it for 2 weeks very very badly. It took a weird turn with me last week when I felt sick all week and one night had proper full on fever - not had that since I was a kid. Now the temp has gone but my cough has got worse again. Sounds like the same thing is going round everyone in different formations. Does make me feel a bit better. I just thought I was really suffering this winter and feeling pathetic about my immune system.

hope everyone feels better soon!

Susypx

Oh and yes the big thing with me has been tiredness , unbelievably tired - been going to bed in day when I have hubby around and at 7pm with my daughter. Rubbish. Roll on spring..

Same here! My older son vomited once but other than that has the weird lethargy, mild fever and cough, not eating, back to napping in day...and it goes on and on and on. He's seeming almost 100% now but that is nearly 10 days later. I had one day of fever and sore throat but other than that just soooo tired.

Yes! Both mine are just recovering from it. Littlest one vomited on and off for 11 days and lost a bit of weight - she's eating constantly now she's better. Eldest one projectile vomited three times and then shook it off. Both had really bad stomach cramps and were prescribed some medicine that helped a lot. Car seat and mattress ruined because of it! It's quite a nasty bug (i assumed it was noro) and I'm very glad to put it behind us.

The Nappy Lady Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> With my 7 year old it's the temperature coming &

> going, lack of appetite & listlessness. Hate

> seeing her like this it is so out of character.

> We are on day 5 with her so maybe by Tuesday she

> will be on the mend, fingers crossed. :-(

my 2 yr old didn't have any vomiting, but had a temperature for over a week and lack of appetite and very tired/sleepy. a bit of a cold and cough too. took him to the doctors who said it wasn't uncommon for it to last a week or more and to use paracetamol to bring the temperature down. was very out of character for my little one too and the first time he's been so wiped out.

Just came on here to see if anyone else suffering. Youngest on day 5 of vomiting and diarrhoea and eldest started vomiting at 4 this morning. Really crumpled over vomiting - horrible for them. I can't get to drs now with both of th puking and not sure they'll do anything anyway....really hope it passes soon. Hubby away it's tough on my own! X

Anyone got any tips when they are sicking up EVERYTHING including sips of water? My 3 yr old has been throwing up bile all day and is worse if she sips water, let alone attempts any kind of food. Just a bit worried about dehydration.

Give nothing for 0.5 to 1 hr after vomitting, then offer 1 oz of Dioralyte or similar, eg diluted sugar water. If your LO can keep this down for 15 min, offer another 1 oz. This was the advice we were given when Little Saff had a vomitting bug.

NHS direct for more advice: 0845 4647

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/About/CallingNHSDirect

Gussy, call me if you need emergency help. I think you don't live far from me? I will PM you my mobile. xx

Thanks saffron. It's really hard, she's thirsty but then chucks it back up, even the tiniest of sips. She did 1 wee today....sure I'll be up most of the night so will encourage more small sips. Her poor tummy is cramping so badly all the little veins popping out on her face/eyelids and almost choking. Very horrible to watch. Boy is on day 5 so really hope we don't have another 5 days to go! He seemed to keep more fluid down.

my daughter had this when she was 18 months. I think they said it was gastric flu. It was terrible so I feel for you - she was desperate for water and drank beaker after beaker (learnt to say "more" during this period) - but she threw it all straight back up - and was doubling over in pain with cramps. We still remember it as one of the worst illnesses. It probably only lasted about 8 or 9 hours at this level though. I find NHS Direct brilliant and often hospitals have out of hours GP services they refer you too which saves going to A&E.

Susypx

I was told keep giving water as even though you think they are bringing it all back some stays down.

Also dioralyte is good & once they are keeping water down flat coke is good for getting some sugar back into the system fast - if feeling weak & wobbly from lack of food. If you only have fizzy coke pour some out & then tip back & forth between 2 glasses about ten times and hey presto it will have gone flat!

oh gussy poor you! that sounds so tough. i thought we had it bad - all 4 of us have variations of this flu/sickness thing, with me and both kids getting secondary infections so on antibiotics now. really annoying it didn't stagger like illness normally does as we are all equally ill, but at least husband is here (if ill) and his mum too - poor you, hope the vomiting is gone now. we were told in a&E to make up a jug of diorlyte and just give little and often. if you're worried about dehyrdation I'd calle nhs direct and they'll prob be able to talk you through the signs? though hopefully now they have turned a corner....

ugh lets hope todays warmer weather heralds an end too this winter of illness!