Forum Sponsors

www.no-flies.co.uk

www.white-edge.co.uk

http://www.urbanspaceltd.co.uk

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messageAnyone else have kids with this cough/vomiting bug?
Posted by The Nappy Lady 19 February, 2012 18:21

School said there was a bug going round & My youngest started with a temp last Sunday then was sick once & coughing / off colour on & off since though on the mend I think.

My 7 year old came down with it on Tuesday & is still not right - choosing to sleep in the day, really not herself & a horrible cough.

Its been an awful half term & I think she may not be fit for school tomorrow. Wondering whether to go to the doctors but not sure they will prescribe anything other than Medised type stuff which she's on anyway.

Anyone else had similar bug & been to docs? If so what did they advise?

--------------------
Molly

messageRe: Anyone else have kids with this cough/vomiting bug?
Posted by buggie 19 February, 2012 18:26

Does seem to be a prolonged bug on the rounds at the moment - Bugglet and Mr Buggie have both had d&v symptoms which lasted around a week... about the only perk of nursing that I've got the immunity of an ox! Might be worth getting a urine dipped just to double check it's not a urine infection (sounds weird but I've seen stranger presentations!) x

Posted by intexasatthe moment 19 February, 2012 18:27

Oh yes - so far my personal tally is 3 adults and one very elderly frail person afflicted .
Seems to start with sore throat and coughing which morphs into vomiting .
The vomiting seems to go on over several days ,not your normal 24 hour bug .
GP says airborne ,spread before people aware that they are infected and to be vigilant about containing sneezes/coughs and ruthless with handwashing .
Seems a nasty one .

Posted by Saila 19 February, 2012 19:11

we've had this - it lingers for 3 or so days
it's less agressive than noro and the kids seem to snap back to normal and then digress

none of the adults got it in our nannyshare

also morphs into upset tummy and smelly nappies after the sickness stops

appetite goes for about a week

you get a good warning they're about to be sick (again - unlike noro which gets you out of the blue) so plenty of time to gently wander over to that tiled floored area....

good luck
x

Posted by The Nappy Lady 19 February, 2012 19:27

Hmm the vomiting we only had once with our 3 year old & she's ok now.

With my 7 year old it's the temperature coming & going, lack of appetite & listlessness. Hate seeing her like this it is so out of character. We are on day 5 with her so maybe by Tuesday she will be on the mend, fingers crossed. :-(

--------------------
Molly

Posted by The Nappy Lady 19 February, 2012 19:28

Hmm the vomiting we only had once with our 3 year old & she's ok now.

With my 7 year old it's the temperature coming & going, lack of appetite & listlessness. Hate seeing her like this it is so out of character. We are on day 5 with her so maybe by Tuesday she will be on the mend, fingers crossed. :-(

Thank you all, reassuring to hear it has lingered with others too.

--------------------
Molly

Posted by arrozdoce 19 February, 2012 20:00

yes, i'm glad i came across this thread, as my two have had these odd symptoms since last weekend too--- no vomiting but temperature, lack of appetite, cough, and so very tired- my 4 yr old, although her temperature went after day 3, has been sleeping 6.30pm til 8am nxt morning, then an hours nap in the day- for subsequent 4 days- v strange.

Posted by pripolla 19 February, 2012 20:25

The same here with my 4 year old: temperature and awful cough. We even ended up in A&E on Saturday because she suffers from asthma and this kind of bugs only make it worse... She won't be going back to school tomorrow.

Posted by susyp 19 February, 2012 20:44

my daughter has just had a cough thing and vomited a lot but she tends to anyway with a cough - did in a car with a friend and her mum quite spectacularly however - which meant entire class then thought she had vomiting bug and gave me odd looks when we waltzed in 2 days later. She never actually seemed to feel ill. Perhaps, it was actually a vomit bug. Oops. My husband and I have had the cough and my Dad has had it for 2 weeks very very badly. It took a weird turn with me last week when I felt sick all week and one night had proper full on fever - not had that since I was a kid. Now the temp has gone but my cough has got worse again. Sounds like the same thing is going round everyone in different formations. Does make me feel a bit better. I just thought I was really suffering this winter and feeling pathetic about my immune system.
hope everyone feels better soon!
Susypx
Oh and yes the big thing with me has been tiredness , unbelievably tired - been going to bed in day when I have hubby around and at 7pm with my daughter. Rubbish. Roll on spring..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:02:19:20:46:10 by susyp.

Posted by alieh 20 February, 2012 08:30

Same here! My older son vomited once but other than that has the weird lethargy, mild fever and cough, not eating, back to napping in day...and it goes on and on and on. He's seeming almost 100% now but that is nearly 10 days later. I had one day of fever and sore throat but other than that just soooo tired.

Posted by charlottep 20 February, 2012 09:41

Yes! Both mine are just recovering from it. Littlest one vomited on and off for 11 days and lost a bit of weight - she's eating constantly now she's better. Eldest one projectile vomited three times and then shook it off. Both had really bad stomach cramps and were prescribed some medicine that helped a lot. Car seat and mattress ruined because of it! It's quite a nasty bug (i assumed it was noro) and I'm very glad to put it behind us.

Posted by intexasatthe moment 20 February, 2012 11:33

charlottep can I ask what they were prescribed for the stomach cramps ?

Posted by charlottep 20 February, 2012 13:58

Sure, it was dicycloverine hydrochloride.

Posted by Ko 20 February, 2012 20:04

The Nappy Lady Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> With my 7 year old it's the temperature coming &
> going, lack of appetite & listlessness. Hate
> seeing her like this it is so out of character.
> We are on day 5 with her so maybe by Tuesday she
> will be on the mend, fingers crossed. :-(

my 2 yr old didn't have any vomiting, but had a temperature for over a week and lack of appetite and very tired/sleepy. a bit of a cold and cough too. took him to the doctors who said it wasn't uncommon for it to last a week or more and to use paracetamol to bring the temperature down. was very out of character for my little one too and the first time he's been so wiped out.

Posted by intexasatthe moment 20 February, 2012 22:49

Thanks charlottep .

Posted by Gussy 22 February, 2012 09:59

Just came on here to see if anyone else suffering. Youngest on day 5 of vomiting and diarrhoea and eldest started vomiting at 4 this morning. Really crumpled over vomiting - horrible for them. I can't get to drs now with both of th puking and not sure they'll do anything anyway....really hope it passes soon. Hubby away it's tough on my own! X

Posted by awilliams123 22 February, 2012 10:17

My almost 1 year old is on day 5 of diarrhoea...started with sniffles about 1.5 weeks ago, then cough, then lost voice, then fever and diarrhoea. Sure hope it passes soon, doc said it was viral and will run its course.

Posted by Yak 22 February, 2012 15:36

10 month old is just recovering from 6 days of D&V. Mr Yak is feeling pretty ropey so he might be next to get it. Baby Yak only really turned a corner the last day, so it does seem to drag on for ages. Bah!

Posted by Gussy 22 February, 2012 19:24

Anyone got any tips when they are sicking up EVERYTHING including sips of water? My 3 yr old has been throwing up bile all day and is worse if she sips water, let alone attempts any kind of food. Just a bit worried about dehydration.

Posted by Saffron 22 February, 2012 19:45

Give nothing for 0.5 to 1 hr after vomitting, then offer 1 oz of Dioralyte or similar, eg diluted sugar water. If your LO can keep this down for 15 min, offer another 1 oz. This was the advice we were given when Little Saff had a vomitting bug.

NHS direct for more advice: 0845 4647
[www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk]

Gussy, call me if you need emergency help. I think you don't live far from me? I will PM you my mobile. xx

Posted by Gussy 22 February, 2012 19:50

Thanks saffron. It's really hard, she's thirsty but then chucks it back up, even the tiniest of sips. She did 1 wee today....sure I'll be up most of the night so will encourage more small sips. Her poor tummy is cramping so badly all the little veins popping out on her face/eyelids and almost choking. Very horrible to watch. Boy is on day 5 so really hope we don't have another 5 days to go! He seemed to keep more fluid down.

Posted by susyp 22 February, 2012 20:22

my daughter had this when she was 18 months. I think they said it was gastric flu. It was terrible so I feel for you - she was desperate for water and drank beaker after beaker (learnt to say "more" during this period) - but she threw it all straight back up - and was doubling over in pain with cramps. We still remember it as one of the worst illnesses. It probably only lasted about 8 or 9 hours at this level though. I find NHS Direct brilliant and often hospitals have out of hours GP services they refer you too which saves going to A&E.
Susypx

Posted by The Nappy Lady 22 February, 2012 23:23

I was told keep giving water as even though you think they are bringing it all back some stays down.

Also dioralyte is good & once they are keeping water down flat coke is good for getting some sugar back into the system fast - if feeling weak & wobbly from lack of food. If you only have fizzy coke pour some out & then tip back & forth between 2 glasses about ten times and hey presto it will have gone flat!

--------------------
Molly

Posted by Gussy 23 February, 2012 10:23

Ok so vomiting subsided for now....none since 5am so I count that as excellent news. Off to but some coke in a mo, thanks for tips ladies x

Posted by Belle 23 February, 2012 11:22

oh gussy poor you! that sounds so tough. i thought we had it bad - all 4 of us have variations of this flu/sickness thing, with me and both kids getting secondary infections so on antibiotics now. really annoying it didn't stagger like illness normally does as we are all equally ill, but at least husband is here (if ill) and his mum too - poor you, hope the vomiting is gone now. we were told in a&E to make up a jug of diorlyte and just give little and often. if you're worried about dehyrdation I'd calle nhs direct and they'll prob be able to talk you through the signs? though hopefully now they have turned a corner....

ugh lets hope todays warmer weather heralds an end too this winter of illness!

Posted by Gussy 29 February, 2012 14:01

Hello, we are now just about clear of this horrid bug. I just wanted to ask if anyone had any good ideas for 'building up' my 'skin and bones' toddler following nearly a week with little more than a bit of toast here and there. She looks awful. Very frail with sunken eyes and has visibly lost weight (was already very slim!). I know a normal diet and time and she will pick back up, but couldn't help thinking I'd like to give her a helping hand with anything I can to boost her up a bit. Any one with food tips or is it worth buying anything particular? Thank you! x

Posted by chantelle 29 February, 2012 16:45

milkshakes?

Posted by skyblue 29 February, 2012 18:35

Our almost 2 year old has had this since 5pm Friday. She has not eaten since then save for a lick of butter off her toast on Monday. Keeping water down now, but anything else she will bring back up. It is the listlessness which is so distressing, sleeping all the time. Her eyes are sunken. We ended up in a and e last night as her breathing was laboured and she was not drinking.

We were advised that this is a bug which lasts for 7 days minimum and if not accepting fluid try full strength squash as this will get some sugar-energy into them.

Posted by Saffron 29 February, 2012 19:11

Sometimes squash / sugar water / dioralyte stays down better than plain water which itself can make the stomach cramp. Once past the vomit stage, Little Saff loved choccy soya milk. Peanut butter is a good high-calorie food if your LO is ok with nuts. Also try adding a little dessert after each meal, like a petit filous, favourite biscuit, or single small square of milk choc. xx

Posted by VanessaPMR 01 March, 2012 14:16

My little one is slowly on the up from this too. Re food to help build her up..
This afternoon my little one ate her and my portion of a smoked salmon carbonara...(basically I am trying to feed her the most delicious food I can think of that fits within her limited range of ok food).

So she got pasta smothered in a sauce made of beurre noisette/cream cheese/grated parmasan and smoked salmon (with a little water to loosen the sauce). I had intended to eat half of what i made, but have had to make do with her leftovers. I also didnt bother with adding veggies to the sauce today, focusing on increased calorific intake instead. She also looks awful: pale, skinny, sunken eyes..though she did seem in a much better mood after lunch. smiling smiley

My only concern is expectation management.. winking smiley
I so know she is going to be expecting similar cuisine when she's better.. tantrums ahead.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed