Magistrates court hearing; advice pls?

bishop

Next month, I am acting as a witness for a hearing at Camberwell magistrates court. My husband was the victim, and the defendent is pleading not guilty.

What is the procedure involved on the day? We have childcare to worry about too- Toddler will be dispatched to his Grandma's for the AM only, so godknows what we'll do if it's a long day. poor Baby will be in attendance though (for boob related reasons).

All advice and experience will be gratefully recieved!

Do you have to stay the whole day? As a witness, I would have thought not.

If you do, then my advice would be to sort out a full day of childcare, maybe with a local childminder or someone who will come to your own home. The times when I have been the most stressed or when everything's gone to pots was when I had not sorted out enough childcare having convinced myself everything would be ok.

I'm not sure. I want to stay with my husband, the whole thing was/is traumtic for him and I'm a victim of the incident too, and the children in a roundabout way.

Will be getting a day of childcare sorted for Toddler, that's not a huge problem.

As a witness, you will not be able to sit with your husband if he is in Court, or witness the proceedings in the Court until after you have given evidence - it's to stop your evidence being tainted by what other people say in evidence or the submissions on either side. So come prepared to sit out in the corridor on your own (with baby) for a bit. If the alleged crime involves violence, or you have a concern the family/friends of the defendant may be aggressive, you should ask if a separate room can be available (although not all courts have these available).

The CPS should have talked you through the process already and there is info on their website about what you can expect. If they haven't get in touch with them and ask them to sit down with you in advance of the hearing.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/victims_witnesses/going_to_court/giving_evidence.html

Also, have they given you info about getting your expenses paid?

With a month to go to the trial, it may be a bit early for your CPS case officer to be in touch, but you should be aware you can claim some of the expenses you will incur, including childcare costs (subject to set limits). Make sure the case officer gives you a claim form with the case reference number already filled in - without it your claim will be rejected.

http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/v_to_z/witnesses_expenses_and_allowances/

Definitely take someone with you if you can - your base is likely to be the corridoor and no doubt you won't be able to take baby into the courtroom, tho maybe you are hoping your husband can hold baby while you are witnessing? May be worth checking that first x

No advice at all but just wanted to say hope everything goes well. How horrific that your family has been involved in what I imagine to be a very stressful situation. My husband and kids being harmed or coming close to it is my biggest worry. Good luck with everything! X

It seams to me very clear that what I have just said on TW is not making any sense or convincing enough

if you are acting in something against me then I should act in the same way if we have lost truts is lost

and we will never ge it back I can understand every single sign you have express yourselves on this forum.

But kindly decided to send a text first but I am waseting my time.

Thankyou to everyone for your kind words, advice and PMs.

MadDad39; I haven't the foggiest idea what you're on about...

The main thing we want to ask Victim Support/CPS for is a seperate room for me and the baby to wait in. I don't want to have to chance sitting opposite the defendent with my baby, trying to feed. Pretty much my worst nightmare right there...

Again, thanks everyone.

They should provide you a private / semi-private room for breastfeeding anyway, being able to wait there seems like a reasonable request. Would you be able to take a sitter with you, so you could have another pair of hands if needed? They might say no, but at least worth asking. In addition to contacting Vic Support for advice, you might think about contacting Le Leche League too. xx