BCG

Billian

I was reading out of curiosity some posts from a year ago regarding the BCG vaccination.

Currently children under the age of one in Southwark are offered the vaccination which protects against tuberculosis as the levels of TB are high in this borough.

The vaccination is not available any more after this age, unless the child is in an at risk group. (The school programme is no longer being carried out). No booster is required or available.

The vaccination is no longer administered via the 'muti-headed' needle of years ago, but by injecting with one needle just under the top layer of the skin on the left arm.

Although it is fairly difficult to contract tuberculosis, if a child under the age of one contracts it they are at increased risk of developing TB meningitis, which obviously can be serious, hence the current programme being directed at this age group.

Whilst the area often does ooze pus at times, this is normal, and does not need treating. At times a scar may be left, but often this is not the case.

Hope this helps if anyone out there is still wondering whether to have the BCg or not, :-)

Re:The vaccination is no longer administered via the 'muti-headed' needle of years ago,

I remember the multi headed needle used to test if you already had antibodies. Was the injection one multi headed too?

Re: , if a child under the age of one contracts it they are at increased risk of developing TB meningitis, which obviously can be serious, hence the current programme being directed at this age group.

When i read up on it before my daughters bcg I understood from the literature provided that the vaccine is most effective the closer to birth it is given and that was the reason.

Yes, the injection at one time was administered via a multipuncture method, I dont have the dates when it changed to one intradermal injection.

TB affects children under the age of one differently from older children and adults. About 40% of children under one will go on to develop the disease after infection compared with about 15-20% of older children.

Additionally, the vaccine offers 70-80% protection against TB meningitis, which is common in children, compared with a much lower level of effectiveness against respiratory TB which is more common in adults.

Figures for levels of protection offered from the vaccine in teenagers/adults vary from 0-80% depending on which trial is being assessed and in which country the trial was carried out. This is partly why the teenage programme was halted.