Forum Sponsors

www.knowledgeseekers.co.uk

www.shearwatershutters.co.uk

http://northwooduk.com/estate-agents/dulwich

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
messagesecondary school place announcements - how?
Posted by Mrs TP 29 February, 2012 10:49

I am due to find out which secondary school my child has been allocated tomorrow. But how does it happen? I applied online - will I be sent an email / do I have to log-in?

I keep hearing all sorts of playground rumours re the site crashing etc.

I want to know from those with experience what realistic time and the best way to find out.

Anxious - not me, not much!

messageRe: secondary school place announcements - how?
Posted by bibimax 29 February, 2012 11:04

Hi - going from last years mess I couldn't log onto the online site (too busy so crashed) we all found out via e-mail which one smart cookie checked and we all followed...so do both...but def e-mail came first.....horrid time you have my sympathy.....but please be reninded that there is a LOT of movement shortly after....

One other thing - southwark were disgustingly poor in letting me know where we were on waiting lists - Lewisham gave me details the next day and we had letters confirming this within days - we rejected the school we were "given" as it wasn't a good option for us but we still received a "welcome to our school" from that school - southwark need to up their game (rant over - can you tell how traumatised I was!!!)

Posted by MGolden 29 February, 2012 11:16

Our experience two years ago (and that of friends last year) was that the system crashed and we received electronic notification that we had nothing three days after the letter arrived! We live in LB Croydon and their system seemed to be that even if you had applied online they still sent you a letter in the post and that did arrive on the 1 March.

But as bibimax has said there is a lot of movement and in our case our son had been offered a place on our list by 31 March. Last year it seemed to be the same; any of our friends children who didn't get a place on 1 March were offered one on their list by the end of the month.

Posted by Curmudgeon 29 February, 2012 14:00

if you applied online you'll get an email - probably after 5

you can try the pan-London website after 5 but no doubt it will crash

Posted by Mrs TP 29 February, 2012 17:36

Thanks - whiling away the last few hours.

I think I am extra anxious as this is the first of my brood and working by their age split we are likely to be committing to this secondary school for the next 15yrs ....

Posted by emilydrab 01 March, 2012 12:43

It's such a scary time. I've started to physically sick waiting for the news. Yes, the system will definitely crash. If you want something to do while you're waiting read and comment on this Guardian blog! http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/01/school-admissions-policy
Good luck!!!!! I'm wondering if I'm going to get a text actually as I signed up for the text alerts on eadmissions. Now that will be a weird text to get...

messageRe: secondary school place announcements - how?attachment
Posted by James Barber 01 March, 2012 16:52

The headlines of what will be released at 5pm online and sent earleir today by first class post:

* All Southwark secondary school applicants have been offered a place for September 2012
* Total of 2,436 applications were received, 85 less applicants than last year
* 1,362 (55.9%) received a first preference school a 3.4% increase on last year's figures 1,322 (52.5%)
* 2,213 (90.8%) received one of their preferences - 2% increase on last year
* 195 (8%) families without a preference and offered an alternative school fewer than last year - 243 (9.6%)
* The number of online applications has remained at the same level as last year

Two attachments - one SPA Leaflet details drop in session if you're not happy and need advice, other is QA info pack.

Do contact your local councillor if you need further support.

--------------------
Regards james.barber@southwark.gov.uk
07900 227366
Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward
[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]
[twitter.com]

Attachments: SPA Leaflet.pdf (399.1KB)   QA info pack secondary (final) 1.doc (205KB)  
Posted by heber jumble queen 01 March, 2012 17:35

Well let me be the first to register as a parent unhappy with the outcome.

My twins have been offered separate schools - one at Harris Boys and the other Peckham Academy (which wasn't an option on either list)- I dare not even tell my Aspergers son he's been offered a school that he's never even seen as it will send him into a complete panic - I'm going to need to tell him there's been a mistake with his application.

Posted by Carbonara 01 March, 2012 17:47

heber jumble queen, that is terrible. How can they allocate twins different schools? I hope that you will win an appeal.
Surely the sibling rule should apply as soon as one child is allocated a place.
Harris Boys must be very over subscribed if only one of yours got in.
Good luck.
I think there is some special agency that advises parents of twins on schools appeals, but I cannot remember it's name.

Posted by Tatty Mum 01 March, 2012 17:49

Another unhappy family here been offered St Thomas the Apostle College (RC Boys) in Nunhead despite each of our choices stating we wanted a non-religious co-educational option for our son
Not a chance we will send him there!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:01:17:57:12 by Tatty Mum.

Posted by Mrs TP 01 March, 2012 18:11

Oh dear Heber Jumble Queen and Tatty Mum - good luck with your appeals.

We got our realistic 2nd choice and are happy. Our first choice was Charter and we are right on the edge if not over the edge of the usual catchment area with /without the walk through consideration but gave it a go whilst always imaging we would get our second choice.

Posted by Renata Hamvas 01 March, 2012 18:22

Heber Jumble Queen, the reason this is likely to have happened is that Harris Boy's school allocates on band and distance. If your twins were in the same band, than one got the last place offered and the other is the top boy for the waiting list for that band. If they fell into different bands, than one was within the last place offered distance for his band, while your other son was in a band where the last place offered distance was smaller. The sibling not offered a place at Harris boys should as a sibling move up to the top of the waiting list. Therefore do not panic!

Tatty Mum, please contact me. Something to do is to find out the place your son is on the waiting lists for the schools you applied for. Did you apply for 6?

I am attending a meeting at ED Community Centre, Darrell RD tonight from 8-9pm. This is an informal meeting so if anyone wants to speak to me tonight, I am happy to leave the meeting to talk to them. I have posted on the other thread that I have a surgery at ED Community Centre on the 10th at 10-11am. One of my ward colleague, Victoria Mills or Gavin Edwards is doing a Surgery tomorrow night at The Rye Hill Tenants and Residents Hall at 6.30-7.30pm. I have posted the contact details of Liam White the School Preference Advisor and the Drop-In Sessions he is running for parents.

Renata

--------------------
Cllr Renata Hamvas
Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward
Renata.Hamvas@southwark.gov.uk

Ward Surgeries
1st Friday, 6.30-7.30pm Rye Hill Park TRA Hall, Peckham Rye SE15
2nd Saturday,10-11am East Dulwich Community Centre, Darrell Rd SE22
4th Thursday (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:01:18:23:04 by Renata Hamvas.

Posted by heber jumble queen 01 March, 2012 18:35

Harris Boys was, in any case, our last choice - so battling to get into there is not what I had in mind. But thanks for the offer of help Renata.

Posted by Medusa 01 March, 2012 19:07

I have been offered 3 places at a school I didn't put on my list and somewhere utterly inappropriate for my kids, one of whom also has Asperger's and OCD. The uncertainty over the next months will take a heavy toll.Hurray for parental choice...

Posted by Cora 01 March, 2012 20:06

I thought kids with Special Educational Needs got priority or is that not the case at secondary school?

Posted by emilydrab 02 March, 2012 07:56

Hello everyone, hello jumble queen, I know who you are!! Well I wasn't offered my realistic choice - Harris ED which I live less than ten minutes amble away from. I was offered Deptford Green, which I bunged on the form at number six to make up the numbers (I don't like blank spaces) - because I couldn't think of another school to put. I actually nearly fainted when I saw that we'd got it. I know a lovely mum whose son goes there, but it's so far away and we've never even visited it. I know not everyone can get the school they want - I wanted Kingsdale and will stay on the waiting list for that - but how can I have not got a school that's so close to me. Do people think there's something wrong with the system here? Renata can you help? I'm so upset, I know there's movement after offer day but this feels so serious. My son is so upset. It's very hard to explain to a ten year old that they are not a failure after they've done the visits, the tests, the auditions and then don't get in to a school they've even heard of. Kids feel like a success for getting into the school they wanted, and of course they'll be basking in that and excited about that at school today - it's going to be very tough on the kids like my son who didn't get in. I've tried to explain that it's just a computer making these decisions. But my son said, why didn't the computer pick me? It's a very cruel system. Does anyone know the stats of how many people end up getting a school they want even if they are offered one they don't on offer day? Also should I accept the school I don't want? confused about how it works. Renata maybe you can help?

Posted by bibimax 02 March, 2012 08:13

Emily - I know who you and your son are (saw your guardian picture/post)

Just to say I know exactly what you are going through as this time last year I had to reassure a very upset 11year old!
St Johns where brilliant in dealing with this too...lots of time in the butterfly room etc

You will automaically get on the waiting list for any school above your allocated school (so all your other choices) You will find out in a few days exactly where you are (last year kingsdale was very slow...but ED Harris should be better)...we found out the next day we were 5th on our 3rd choice (I use the word choice loosely) but that was a lewisham school....deep breaths but have hope there is a lot of movement in the next few weeks so once you know your place on the waiting list you can start breathing (hopefully) a little better....so sorry though the system is extremely cruel for the kids who dont get a school of their choice

Posted by MGolden 02 March, 2012 08:27

Emily, just to add to bibimax's post. Two years ago, this was my son. We were offered none of our six choices but instead offered a school that was a three hour round trip involving two buses each way. My son really did think he was a failure, as did the ten other boys in his year at school. Not helped by the fact that he was being bullied at the time as well so the whole secondary school thing just added to his general feelings of uselessness.

A month later we were able to tell him he was going to Kingsdale which was on our list. His sense of relief was palpable. All of the children in the same boat as him were also offered places within a month too. Interestingly, one of the boys was offered a place that his parents hadn't considered but where, two years later, he is thriving academically and socially.

Last year was the same in our primary school and, again, within a month all those not offered a place parents were happy with were offered a place they were happy with within a month. In at least one case I know of a boy was offered places from each of the top three on his list within a month as each school operates their own waiting list.

I'm sure that right now it feels terrible but these things do come to an end and it will be alright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:02:08:28:48 by MGolden.

Posted by EDmummy 02 March, 2012 08:34

Emilydrab, acceptance is automatic this year unless you tell them otherwise. Advice is to not reject the school offered before the 'shakedown'.

We got our third choice - Harris ED which is only 3 streets away but son wants Kingsdale or Charter (for social reasons). I think he is lucky and has a great school - what do we do if we are offered either of these schools in the next round?!

Posted by MGolden 02 March, 2012 08:58

EDMummy - you won't be offered them if you accept Harris ED.

Posted by EDmummy 02 March, 2012 09:12

MGolden, we will get offered them if we are on the waiting list and near the top following the shakedown. Acceptance is automatic this year for your first offered place.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:02:09:30:02 by EDmummy.

Posted by Mrs TP 02 March, 2012 09:56

I am confused.

It says acceptance is automatic but there was still a link on my offer email to accept / decline.

I have accepted but it was our second choice. Will we automatically go on the list for our top choice?

Ha ha just sussed it, automatically on waiting list but phoned them and nos 227!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was 2012:03:02:10:22:31 by Mrs TP.

Posted by heber jumble queen 02 March, 2012 10:29

hello Emily (you must secretly reveal yourself to me, as I haven't guessed who you are!) - both my boys were in a terrible state last night, couldn't eat their tea they were so upset - they're so worried they won't be able to go to school together. "This is the worst birthday present ever" (it's their birthday tomorrow) I haven't in any way got my head round what I need to do, and how to appeal, and what's the best outcome to aim for (as it looks like our best option to go for Harris Boys - which is obviously an outstanding school but certainly not the best environment for my ASD son and neither of my boys like the idea of being at an all boys school).

All this when all I'm looking for is a local, co-ed, non-faith school. It's a disgrace. If anyone dares to mention an application for a free school today....

Posted by Curmudgeon 02 March, 2012 10:30

I believe you do still have to accept the place. I would suggest doing so and calling your higher choices to confirm you are still on the waiting list. I think it is supposed to be automatic that you are placed on the waiting list but can't imagine it will do any harm to check.

Charter says on their website that they won't know ranking of waiting list until March 17th though.

We were fortunate in that we got a place at our 2nd choice although our son is upset that none of his friends have

Posted by Chocolate 02 March, 2012 10:56

Hi, my daughter also got 3rd choice but what i cant understand is her first two choices were closer and easy to get to but the council have offered her a school nr Westminster. They have offered the first two choices to other children who live further than us. Can the council explain this?

Posted by Carbonara 02 March, 2012 12:10

Shocking that so many ED families have had such bad news, and symptomatic of the problem with availability and choice in Southwark.
Accepting the place offered will not affect your chances of a waiting list place at one of your higher choices. MGolden's comment is incorrect.

Accept the place offered
Make sure you are on the waiting list for every school higher up your list, it is worth double checking that you are on these lists
Find out where you are on that list, there will be lots of movement over the next few months
Prepare your appeal if you have grounds. You can be on the waiting list and appeal, and you can stay on the waiting list even if your appeal fails.

Posted by heber jumble queen 02 March, 2012 12:24

Just to answer Cora's question - children who have a statement of special needs are given priority through a different system. Statemented children have issues that markedly affect their educational development. SEN issues such as Aspergers / high functioning autism usually have huge impact on children and their social / emotional / educational abilities - but as long as they're progressing along a relatively normal trajectory (in terms of results) then they're not statemented and get no additional support or consideration in the school applications procedure.

I submitted pages of paediatric / ed psych reports from the ASD Clinic at Sunshine House and that apparently was entirely a waste of time.

Posted by Renata Hamvas 02 March, 2012 12:31

Dear all,
all of Southwark's secondary schools are either Academies or Faith schools and therefore make their own decisions on Admissions. This means that there is a diverse range of admissions criteria in Southwark Schools.

Chocolate, in you duaghter's case, it may be that your first and second choice schools may be ones that don't operate on a simple distance admissions policy. I don't know where you applied but for example, Kingsdale allocates places by lottery and Harris schools and Aske's by banding and distance (so the last place offered distance may be very different between bands). There are also selection by ability in the school's speciality coming into play in some cases eg music or sport.

Heber Jumble Queen, in your case, I would chase a second place at Harris Boy's, but also to check your son's waiting list postion at the other schools that you applied to. They may be very different eg at Kingsdale as it's done on banding/lottery. If one twin secures a place at one of the other schools on your list, than the other one will jump up the waiting list. I am sorry that your sons have been so upset by the new, I hope they can forget it tomorrow and have a great birthday. As one has an SEN you may have grounds to appeal eg if one of the schools you have applied to is more suitable to address his needs than the other schools.

Mrs TP, I think at position 227 you are unlikely to obtain a place at this school. Yes you sussed it correctly, you automatically go on to the waiting list of schools you applied to above your offered school. You could request to go onto the waiting list of other schools too.

ED Mummy, if you get Charter or Kingsdale in the shakedown and you will need to inform Southwark that you are accepting a place at that school and turning down the place at Harris Boy's. Your chances of obtaining a place at Kingsdale or Charter are unaffected by your acceptance of a place at Harris Boys. FYI it has a mixed sixth form with Harris Girl's.

MGolden, yes I agree with you there is much movement on secondary school waiting lists, all the way up until September. So those parents who are unhappy with the school their child/children have been allocated, it is early days yet!

Emily, I have also replied to you on the other thread. On that thread there is information on surgeries to help and advise parents at this difficult time. Kingsdale allocates places by lottery and is very oversubscribed (It's an academy so sets it's own admissions criteria). Living near the school doesn't increase your chances to get a place. You need to be lucky and have been picked out of the hat. Having a lottery system inflates the number of applications a school receives as anyone can apply and they all have a chance. I would suggest you contact Deptford Green and visit it. It is a vibrant mixed school with new buildings, parents have likened it to Kingsdale so you and your son may like it. I know some children from the ED and Nunhead area went there last year. I don't know exactly how many children end up with a different school to the one allocated, but I do know it's a significant number.

Cora-children with SEN and a statement of SEN to support this apply separately and earlier to the main application process. They do have priority in securing a place most suitable to a child's special needs.

Medusa, were you applying for triplets or was this a mixture of in-year and standard year 7 application? Does your SEN child have a statement. If they are triplets and the one with SEN does not have a statement, I would suggest checking waiting list position with the schools you have applied to and if one triplet gets a place, the others would go to the top of the waiting list. Appeal may be worthwhile in this case. Please e-mail me with details.

My computer decided to die last night and therefore I shall have limited access until it is (hopefully) repaired tomorrow. Therefore those of you who need help or advise, please e-mail me rather than pm me.
Renata

--------------------
Cllr Renata Hamvas
Labour Councillor For Peckham Rye Ward
Renata.Hamvas@southwark.gov.uk

Ward Surgeries
1st Friday, 6.30-7.30pm Rye Hill Park TRA Hall, Peckham Rye SE15
2nd Saturday,10-11am East Dulwich Community Centre, Darrell Rd SE22
4th Thursday (3rd in December), 6.30-7.30pm Nunhead Library, Gordon Rd SE15

Peckhamryelabour.blogspot.com

Posted by Carbonara 02 March, 2012 13:23

My friend was told that her child had been offered a full sports scholarship for KD, but has now not been offered a place. They have been offered a place at a lower choice school. How can this happen?

Posted by prickle 02 March, 2012 13:27

Carbonara Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My friend was told that her child had been offered
> a full sports scholarship for KD, but has now not
> been offered a place. They have been offered a
> place at a lower choice school. How can this
> happen?

Reassure your friend that her child is not the only one. From past practice, the school 'gives' scholarships to a large number of children, but only the top few are actually offered a place. Same for music.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed